Depleted Clitheroe put in the graft in away defeat

Stuart Railton in action against Old Bedians on Saturday
Stuart Railton in action against Old Bedians on Saturday
Share this article

A depleted Clitheroe went down to defeat in Didsbury on Saturday.

The Maroon and Golds set to work. And they didn’t half work. Not just as individuals, but as a team - a bit disjointed at times, but they were all pulling in the same direction.

Unfortunately Bedes were much more of a settled outfit.

There was small in stature, big of heart, Wayne Latham, then, the youngest of the Procter clan, Craig and his cousin Mark Harrison, plucked from the seconds into the boiler room of the first team second row, alongside Jake Shorrock, both having the games of their lives.

At full back, Stuart Railton still had time for a cameo jink and swerve, with the odd soft shoe shuffle to quicken the pulse of the expectant crowd.

Talking of dependable, substitute skipper Dave Watson, a canny operator and voice of calm and reason in the middle of a sea of mud, sweat and occasional tears.

The pack made a decent fist of the set scrums and were dependable at line out time, but there was a bit too much pace in the loose for Clitheroe.

Newton le Willows are the visitors on Saturday (kick-off 2-15 p.m.).

Meanwhile, the seconds produced their best performance of the season, beating table-toppers Bolton 4ths 30-0 at Littlemoor.

Clitheroe started strongly and maintained pressure on the visitors’ line with a number of attacks being met by strong tackles.

On at least two occasions, Clitheroe crossed the line, but the ball was held up and the chance went begging.

The pressure did tell on the visitors as they infringed on a couple of occasions and eventually Smith crashed over under the posts, Morris adding the extras.

Clitheroe continued in the same vein, dominating possession but failing to do anything with the ball.

Bolton inevitably came back into the game, and following infringements by the hosts, the pressure nearly told with Clitheroe managing to hold up the ball as Bolton crossed the line.

Following half-time, Clitheroe started to utilise their possession.

Following a number of phases and good quick ball recycled by Mick Thornber on the Bolton line, Wood fed the ball out, and through the hands it went for Preston to mark his return with a fine try.

The home side seemed to relax and following a storming run by Sam Thornber, he offloaded to Morris who found the smallest of gaps. He was tackled but managed to slip the ball to Doherty, who sprinted 40 metres to touch down under the posts, and with the extras added, it was 19-0.

Substitute Cummings displayed some blistering pace in hacking the ball upfield, and following good hand skills, he offloaded to Kay, who touched down in the corner for another score. Morris failed to add the extras but his magic boots kicked two penalties.

Smith was deservedly named man of the match.