Clitheroe lose out to wily Wigan side

Rugby ball on a grass on a background of legs of players
Rugby ball on a grass on a background of legs of players

A CLOSE fought game so Clitheroe 1st XV edged out by Wigan 2nds 15-8.

It was Wigan who struck first with a driving try in the first 10 minutes which went unconverted.

The Maroon & Gold woke up shortly after. Clitheroe pressed into the Wigan half and it was only little mistakes and some good tackling by the home team which kept them out from scoring. Wigan then had their scrum half sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes for killing play once too often. Up stepped Chris Waddington to slot the points and drag the deficit back to two points.

After the break Wigan came out strongly and manged to get over the line and make it 10- 3. Clitheroe then conceded within 10 minutes of the re-start to leave the score 15-3.

Wigan scored no more though and spent the vast majority of the remaining quarter defending. Testing full back Ian Young with a high kick he returned at pace to bring the ball back to the forwards who drove the ball up the centre of the park. At the resulting ruck the ball spun out to Watson at standoff who delivered a perfect pass to inside centre Chris Waddington who broke the gain line and set up a maul.

With the forwards driving in behind him, Waddington showed all the guile of a seasoned blindside flanker to pop out of the front of the maul to break up the pitch into the Wigan 22. With scrum half Ben Rigby showing good pace and support he took the pass and scored a well earned try.

Wigan held out well to seal the game and a deserved victory. Next week Clitheroe look to get back to winning ways at fortress Littlemoor against Sedgley Park. The 2nd XV travel away to Leigh.

In the match between Clitheroe 2nd and Colne and Nelson 2nds at the Littlemoor it was the visitors who came out on top 16-15.

Colne made the most of their increased possession and took at healthy 16-10 lead in the break. Lafranceschina scored a superb try and also kicked a simple penalty to make up the 10 home points but it was Colne’s forward dominance that led to a couple of well worked tries and kept the ball in Clitheroe’s half for much of the first half.

The second started much brighter for the home side and following a strong run for centre Williamson and good recycling from a Clitheroe pack growing in confidence as the game wore on, scrum half Wood found full back Midget out on the left to score a good team try. A missed penalty a few minutes later would have taken Clitheroe into a deserved lead but it just wasn’t to be. Colne & Nelson held their nerve well during the final 30 minutes and by doing so just edged out the Pundy’s men.