Captain’s early try proves in vain against Old Bedians

Alex Hough pictured on the charge against Old Bedians at Littlemoor on Saturday
Alex Hough pictured on the charge against Old Bedians at Littlemoor on Saturday

Clitheroe played their final league game of the season at a sun drenched Littlemoor on Saturday, but lost out to an efficient Old Bedians side.

The home team just couldn’t reproduce the intensity of the previous week’s home win for long enough periods of the game.

An expectant end of season crowd was buoyed by Clitheroe’s immediate desire to attack the visitors’ line at every opportunity. Clitheroe’s high-tempo game seemed to have Bedians nonplussed as their defence retreated with some alacrity.

The town team were over the whitewash with hardly 10 minutes on the clock. Fittingly it was the captain Nathan Peel who scampered over and was on hand with the conversion.

Gradually Bedians began to claw their way back into the game and for most of the second quarter Clitheroe got bogged down in their own half. A penalty for the visitors was swiftly followed with a try from their outside half, who sliced through a static Clitheroe defence to make it 10-7 at the interval.

The second half turned into a bit of an arm wrestle as neither side could make much headway initially. But Bedians broke the deadlock, scoring what proved to be a decisive try after 20 minutes.

Clitheroe responded gallantly but Bedians defence was well organised and held firm.

The annual President’s Match is to be held at the ruby club this Saturday, kick-off 3 p.m. The annual inter-club game normally pits the first XV squad against a second XV laden with ringers. Past members and visitors often supplement the teams, selected by the President and Chairman.

So, if you want to dig out the boots and don a Clitheroe jersey again, contact Bob via or through the club website.

Prior to the game, Clitheroe Under 16s play a visiting Burnley side, kick-off 1 p.m.

Final Score: Clitheroe RUFC 7, Old Bedians 15