Golfers enjoy fruits of re-building

Clitheroe golfers were able to enjoy the full benefit of an extensive eight-month re-building programme when the second and fifth holes were re-opened for full play at the weekend.

Sunday, 3rd May 2015, 12:00 pm
Pictured are the Mayor of Ribble Valley Michael Ranson, Junior Captain Sam Geddes, Lady Captain Trudy Walne, Captain Ian Walsh, the Greens Staff, Head Greenkeeper Andrew Geddes and the Professional, Paul McEvoy at Clitheroe, as the second and fifth holes are reopened at the club (s).

While the basic design of the second green has been retained, the fall across the green has been softened by approximately 50%, making for a more accommodating target and one with a wider selection of hole locations.

A larger redevelopment programme has been undertaken at the fifth hole where the opportunity to create a memorable par 3 hole has been fully grasped. The green has been reoriented to add interest to the hole, but the big talking point is the newly modelled water feature that fronts the new green. The existing pond has been much extended and sculpted into attractive contours with wooden facia boarding providing a most pleasing addition to the overall appeal of the hole.

The teeing complex has also been enlarged and tree thinning to the left of the green has resulted in a more open aspect and will make for a healthier growing environment and a more robust putting surface.

The work has been undertaken under the direction of Head Green Keeper Andrew Geddes alongside his deputy Andrew Lund and the team of assistant greenkeepers.

Following a recent inspection of the alterations, Alistair Beggs, Head of Agronomy at the Sports Turf Research Institute, commented: “To have completed a project such as this using in-house expertise is a significant achievement and one that everybody at Clitheroe Golf Club should be extremely proud.”

The holes re-opened to the membership on the occasion of the Nettleton Trophy.

Clitheroe seniors chalked up an emphatic 5-1 win over Chorley Golf Club in their latest match in the Ribble Valley Seniors’ Golf league at Clitheroe Golf Club.

Clitheroe’s first three pairs of Richard Crossley and Peter Robinson, Phil Bishop and Jeff Crowther and Phil Walmsley and Kenny Ward got the home side off to a flying start with wins in each of their games, and although Neil Fawcett and Roger Williams went down by 5 and 4 to their Chorley opponents, Tom Poole and Richard Read and Peter Hargreaves and Ian Lambert made it a runaway win for Clitheroe, who are now undefeated in all three of the season’s opening matches.

Whalley Golf Club’s Monthly Medal on Saturday was won by John Hamilton with a nett 68.

Second place in Division Two went to John Hyde’s nett 69, with third place going to Chris Thompson.

Division One winner was John Rostron with a nett 70, with Gary “Rocky” Meakin – just back from his European tour – second with a nett 72.

Third was Chris Summers’ nett 73.

There were two two’s on the day going to Steve Farnsworth and Dave Hanson.

Last Thursday the ladies at Whalley played an LLGA Qualifier/ Handicap and Bronze Competition .

The winner on a card play off was Bridget Rees 94-22-72 , second was Cathy Haworth 108-36-72 , and following closely was Past Lady Captain Sally Blenkinship 100-27-73 .

The ladies of Stonyhurst Park Golf Club have continued their successful run with a great win in the Mail on Sunday knockout competition against Pleasington Golf Club on Easter Monday. They now go on to play Lancaster Golf Club at home. Jeanette Dowdy and Jean Alcock also continued their winning streak with a great victory against Shaw Hill Golf Club at their difficult course in Chorley.

Twenty one lady members went for a night away to Portal Golf Club and Hotel in Cheshire. It was an excellent event of golf and social merriment and thankfully the sun shone! Whilst it was mainly a social event it wouldn’t be golf without a little bit of competition! The winner over the two days, Laura Cannon, came in with an excellent score, with runner up being Anne Hudson.

Sunday at Stonyhurst Park saw the April medal. Conditions were very good for the competitors, but some showed a little early season rustiness. Rupert Frost won with 88-23-65 from Henry Farrar (85-18-67)m with Peter Thompson (84-15-69) third.