Steve Bruce expects winger Stewart to return to Hull City

RETURN TO HULL: Cameron Stewart
RETURN TO HULL: Cameron Stewart
Share this article

ON-loan wide man Cameron Stewart is expected to return to Hull City at the end of his loan next month.

The 21-year-old was signed by Eddie Howe on deadline day as cover, following the injury to Danny Ings in pre-season.

However, he has started only two games, having endured a frustrating time at Turf Moor.

Tigers boss Steve Bruce said: “Looking at the way things are, he’s probably going to come back to us in January and we’ll see where things go.

“It’s been disappointing for all parties.

“He went out to play games with Burnley and that’s just not happened for him.

“That’s been a big disappointment for him but the challenge has to be to get his head down, work hard, and turn his luck around.

“It’s a big time coming up for him.

“There’s no doubting he’s got ability but he’s got to find a level where he’s playing week in, week out.

“It shows how difficult it can be to be a footballer when you’re a young lad.

“Twelve months ago the club was turning down big money for him.

“Now he’s coming back from a loan without really playing.

“The lad needs games. He’s young and had to fight back from a very serious injury.”

Stewart went straight into the side following his arrival, coming in for Ross Wallace in the 3-1 defeat at home to Brighton.

He was a substitute in the following game at home to Peterborough, claiming an assist as Junior Stanislas converted after Stewart’s shot was saved.

Then then started at Leicester, against his former Hull boss Nigel Pearson, who signed him, and then tried to take him with him to the King Power Stadium, having a £1.5m offer turned down.

But he hasn’t started since, and has made only nine appearances in total - none under new boss Sean Dyche - finding himself out of the matchday 18 of late.

And with Jamaican winger Dane Richards officially joining the club on January 1st, Stewart is likely to drop even further down the pecking order.

• A BURNLEY XI enjoyed a 2-0 win at Huddersfield Town’s John Smith’s Stadium on Tuesday, courtesy of goals from Luke O’Neill and Sam Vokes.

O’Neill put the Clarets ahead shortly after half-time, beating Ian Bennett with a strike from just outside the area.

Vokes sealed the win late on, capitalising on good work from Joseph Mills and substitute George Porter by turning inside the box and firing in.

Brian Jensen kept a clean sheet, while David Edgar - a contender to come in for the suspended Michael Duff against Watford tomorrow - also came through the 90 minutes as Simon Weatherstone took charge of the Development Squad for the first time.

Burnley: Jensen, O’Neill (Williams 80), Mills, Edgar, Long, Hewitt (MacDonald 75), Bartley, Stanislas, Vokes, Ings (Porter 75), Treacy.