So near, but so far for as Rimington lose out in cup semi-final

editorial image
Share this article

IT was a case of so near, but so far for Rimington in their West Riding County FA Challenge Cup Semi-Final in Leeds as they lost 3-2 to Lepton Highlanders in extra time last Wednesday night.

Cheered on by nearly a hundred travelling supporters, Rimington started well and dominated territory in the early stages, and were rewarded after 20 minutes when Robert Lloyd headed home a corner.

However, this sparked Lepton into life and Kershaw produced a couple of saves to maintain the lead.

Rimington spurned some good opportunities, and as half-time approached they were denied a stone wall penalty by the referee.

Lepton took control in the second half with Rimington reduce to counter attacks and it took some excellent defending and great goalkeeping from Kershaw to stay in the game.

Again a number of half chances went begging, especially a one on one from Sargeson that he failed to convert.

Rimington paid the price when Lepton equalised with 20 minutes to go, and they had to dig in to take the game to extra time.

As the game went into extra time, Lepton broke the deadlock, but Rimington pushed forward and were unfortunate when Hutchinson had a goal disallowed. Rimington continued to push forward, and Lepton capitalised and took control with a well-taken third goal. However, Rimington continued to show their fighting spirit and were rewarded in the final minute when Dinsdale grabbed a consolation.

Rimington would like to thanks their supporters for making the journey to support them, and would also like to thank Nicola from NJD Sports Injury Clinic Clitheroe for providing physio support.

The following night the locals won 4-2 at BGSOB.

Ben Allen converted a Sargeson cross midway through the first half to take the lead, before BGSOB’s keeper’s kick was misjudged by Kershaw and the forward knocked the ball home to equalise.

The second half was more productive for Rimington, as, after 10 minutes, Allen produced a fine volley to regain the lead and then completed his hat-trick.

Heslop then converted a penalty to allow Rimington to give a couple of player a well earned rest.

BGSOB were rewarded with a last-minute consolation goal.

And on Saturday, a third game in four days saw the villagers draw 1-1 at Worsthorne.

McLean gave Rimington the lead and only a last minute long range effort denied them the win.