Rimington stun title rivals

editorial image
Share this article

RIMINGTON came away with a fine win against one of the title contenders thanks to a very disciplined performance.

It could have been very different had the home side converted a chance in the opening 20 seconds, breaking through a static defence, the striker nicking the ball past Kershaw only to see the ball trickle wide.

The visitors created their first chance on five minutes when Eglin played a one-two with McTear, only to see his drive tipped over by the keeper.

The striker was then put through by an excellent Walmsley pass, before being brought down in a clash with the keeper, though no penalty was given.

Worsthorne, playing up the slope, passed the ball well in midfield, but could not break the visiting defence where McCarthy was particularly impressive.

Walmsley fired in a shot from outside the box, but it was blocked by a defender, and then Lloyd set up Sargeson who saw his curler go just over.

The home side created a great chance midway through the half, but the striker failed to make Kershaw work as he shot over the bar.

McCarthy ensured the score remained goal-less with a brilliant last-ditch tackle on the half hour mark, and Sargeson collected a free kick from Fagan only to see his goalbound drive deflected away for a corner.

Rimington finally opened the scoring when Lloyd cut in from the left, only to be upended in the area, and skipper Sargeson slotted home the spot kick.

Lloyd then had a goal disallowed for off-side before Walmsley fed Eglin, whose shot beat the keeper but was cleared off the line by a defender.

McTear was forced off with an injury, Walsh coming on, with McLean moving to the right, and he looked dangerous whenever he got the ball.

Playing uphill in the second half seemed to suit Rimington as they passed the ball well, hitting the channels to good effect as Lloyd and Eglin showed great movement.

Dinsdale fed Lloyd with a defence-splitting pass, but the striker just cleared the bar with his shot.

Kershaw was called into action in the 55th as the home side were awarded a free kick just outside the box, the shot over the wall well saved to his right.

Dinsdale made it 2-0 soon after, collecting the ball 30 yards out before unleashing an unstoppable drive into the roof of the net.

The visitors were now rampant, and McLean broke away before squaring the ball across the area, a defender almost knocking it into his own goal.

Walmsley combined with McLean and Gawthorpe before finding Lloyd with a pin-point cross, the striker’s header kept out by the keeper.

On 65 minutes Eglin played in Lloyd, who found Sargeson to fire in number three.

It wasn’t long before it was 4-0, Lloyd again breaking away and then crossing for Eglin to head home.

Rimington had the luxury of taking their skipper off as Hutchinson returned from injury, but it was McLean who caused the problems for the home side, his strength and power getting him into some excellent positions to cross or to shoot, and he really should have made it 5-0 late on but a bad bobble resulted in a sliced effort wide.

Manager Terry Braithwaite was very pleased with the result and also the performance in the end: “We started poorly but got better as the game progressed.

“I thought Jordan Walmsley was magnificent in protecting the back four and we played very well in the second half.

“It is never an easy game on their patch but we ran out worthy winners to keep our run going.

“We now have two cup games before a very important month of league fixtures in March.

“We have to keep our focus and take one game at a time if we are to compete on all four fronts.”

This Saturday sees a home tie in the Craven Cup, 2 p.m. kick-off.