Rimington see off champions

Rimington hit The Ivy for six
Rimington hit The Ivy for six
Share this article

Rimington maintained their winning sequence with a hard-fought win over the reigning champions in a game which had almost everything.

The villagers were quickest out of the blocks, and in the eighth minute, a corner was inexplicably handled by a defender and Lloyd stepped up to fire home the penalty.

And six minutes later, a long throw by Collinge found Jackson, and he teed up his partner Bagot, whose left foot volley flew into the bottom corner, a finish of the highest order for 2-0.

Within four minutes Ivy took the wind out of the home side’s sails - a counter-attack down the left, a pinpoint cross, and Gallagher swept in a volley giving Kershaw no chance.

The champions were now into their stride and a left foot shot went wide with no-one able to get the vital touch, and then a free kick was curled over the wall and into the side netting.

Rimington dug deep and were rewarded with a third goal on 34 minutes, as Kershaw’s long kick found McLean, and he allowed the ball to bounce once before unleashing a fierce drive.

Ivy responded a minute later and were rewarded with a penalty, Kershaw getting a hand to it but just unable to keep it out.

The next goal was obviously going to be pivotal, and when McLean found Bagot, the striker chipped a delightful cross for Jackson to steer his header expertly into the top corner just two minutes before half-time.

Ten minutes into the second half, McLean was tripped just outside the area following another surging run, and Fagan stepped up to curl a beauty into the corner for 5-2.

This seemed to knock the visitors, and McLean was the victim of a rash challenge on the halfway line, the guilty player seeing red after receiving a yellow card in the first half.

Rimington made the points safe as Hickling slid the ball down the left for Jackson, and he cut in before slipping the ball across for Bagot to make it 6-2 from close range.

Ivy pulled one back late on, but it was mere consolation.

Terry Braithwaite said: “I’m very happy with the 3 points and the spirit we showed.”