Rimington into a third quarter-final

editorial image
Share this article

TOP of the East Lancashire League Second Division met the First Division leaders in this mouth-watering cup-tie, with the current champions winning through to their third quarter-final of the season.

The game started well for the home side inside two minutes, as Dinsdale slipped going for a header and let in a forward, who squared past Kershaw for his partner to tap home.

The nearest the visitors came early on was when McLean and Rakshi combined, but the resulting cross was headed away for a corner.

The Ivy sent their supporters into raptures as they increased their lead, as a break down the left saw a cross beat everyone until it was hammered home at the far post.

Midway through the half Rimington finally got into gear, McLean found Hutchinson, who fed Lloyd, and he got the ball to Eglin, who turned to beat the keeper from 12 yards.

The visitors were now playing at a much better tempo, and on 25 minutes Lloyd was fouled in the inside left position. McLean whipped over a great free kick for the striker to rise and head home to level matters.

In the 33rd minute, Lloyd cut inside before curling a shot over the keeper only to see his effort hit the bar, and Rakshi followed up but hit the bar too, and the chance was gone.

The Ivy began the second half on the attack, but this time Rimington’s back four were firm, with Dinsdale outstanding, and the villagers began to push the home side back.

The keeper pulled off some fine saves but he was unable to prevent the visitors taking the lead on 65 minutes.

Rakshi whipped in a great free kick for Lloyd to thunder in a header.

Two minutes later Rakshi found Eglin, but his volley failed to hit the target.

Lloyd claimed his hat-trick shortly after, as McLean broke down the right before pulling the ball back to his striker who curled it over the keeper.

It clipped the underside of bar and post before nestling in the opposite corner.

McTear replaced the industrious Rakshi, and Heslop came on for Gawthorpe, and McTear should have made it 5-2 as great work by Eglin down the left saw him cross to the substitute, who totally misjudged his header.

Terry Braithwaite was relieved to see his team progress: “Ivy made it hard for us at the start of each half but we stuck to our task well and deserved our win.

Saturday sees a local derby at home to Hurst Green, kick-off 2-15 p.m.