Rimington hold on to seal a place in Craven Cup Final

Paddy O'Brien was dismissed late on against Ingleton
Paddy O'Brien was dismissed late on against Ingleton
Share this article

Rimington edged out Ingleton in a five-goal thriller for the right to progress to the final of this season’s Craven FA Cup competition at Settle FC.

The Tanderines the spoils as they overcame a sluggish start to assert their authority and gave manager David Cook the performance he’d been demanding for all season.

Matt Bagot scored and was named man of the match for Rimington

Matt Bagot scored and was named man of the match for Rimington

Ingleton almost found a way through with just 40 seconds on the clock when Hutchinson beat the off-side trap to cross, but Jonny Lincoln cleared as Brown challenged.

Ingleton came again and Graeme Kershaw was at full length to palm away stinger from Brown as he stepped inside to try his luck.

An error on 17 minutes in midfield gifted Paddy O’Brien possession, and he beat two defenders and played a neat pass to Matt Bagot, who rolled his marker and shot from the edge of the box into the bottom corner.

Rimington appeared to be clean through again when Sam Langford flicked on a good pass from Jack Cook, and Bagot beat his man with ease to get to the bye-line. He had options, but was off balance and his pass went behind the advancing Tangerine shirts.

United pushed and probed, and on 33 minutes Bagot showed good control to take a ball over the top in his stride.

He spun, and fed it to Oli Devenney, and his snapshot cannoned off the post and in.

With half-time approaching, Ingleton were given a lifeline when Law picked out Brown, and the nippy wide man beat his marker and pulled it back for Hutchinson to score from close range.

Ingleton should have been back on level terms within moments of the restart when Law overlapped and crossed on the run. Hutchinson had the goal at his mercy, just eight yards out, but lost his bearings and sent his shot wide.

But Ingleton equalised when a corner found Brown climbing highest at the far posr to find the top corner with an accurate header.

It was end-to-end, as Rimington played some good football without managing to find a way through, and Kershaw was needed when he scrambled across the six-yard box to parry a header.

On 71 minutes Ingleton were undone when a Devenney free kick from halfway was floated into the box.

Ingleton’s keeper raced from his line, but Thomas Fowler flicked a neat lob into the roof of the net.

Set pieces continued to cause upset in both final thirds, while, in the closing moments of the game, O’Brien was shown a straight red card for a high tackle.

Rimmy kept the ball well as the clock ticked down to the final whistle.

Manager David Cook said: “It was hard work, graft, and probably a little bit of luck, but I thought we defended well, particularly in the second half. I have a group of players who really care and they showed that with a fantastic battling performance. We now look forward to the cup final against Settle United on May 11th.”