Rimington hit the goal trail yet again

editorial image
Share this article

The champions extended their lead at the top with another comprehensive win against the Burnley GSOB.

Rimington raced out of the blocks and could have put the game beyond reach in the first 10 minutes, opening the scoring in the first when Dinsdale found Hutchinson on the right, who released Eglin in the box, the striker thundering home. A minute later and Walmsley was put through by Rakshi, and the keeper had to make a smart save.

Eglin made it 2-0 when he was put in by a great pass from Dinsdale, and again Eglin made no mistake.

The home side were given a reprieve as Kershaw mis-placed his attempted pass to Hutchinson, the winger nipping in to cross for his forward to head home.

The keeper atoned for his error when he picked out Lloyd with a great throw, who then beat his man before crossing for Eglin, but his strike partner failed to connect with a header just yards from goal.

He did not have to wait long for his hat-trick, however, a fine ball from Gawthorpe released skipper Sargeson and he, in turn, produced a quality cross for Eglin to head home.

The visitors almost scored again on 20 minutes when Rakshi showed his pace, leaving the defenders behind him only to see his blistering drive bounce back off the inside off a post and be cleared for a corner.

From this, Dinsdale just headed over. Rimington were denied another goal as Lloyd squared for Eglin to finish, the referee amazingly blowing for off-side when it was obvious to all that the goal should count.

The villagers were not to be held back for long, and another top-drawer free-kick by Sargeson left the prolific Lloyd the simple task of heading home for 4-1.

The half continued to ebb and low, the home side creating a couple of chances but Kershaw and his defence were determined not to be breached again. At the other end, Eglin went it alone when he should have played Lloyd in.

The early stages of the second half were rather poor, both sides giving the ball away too easily, until the hour mark when Lloyd cut in from the left and curled a shot just over the angle.

McCarthy and Eglin made way for Fagan and Walsh, who was making a welcome return from injury, and it Fagan who had the next chance to score only to see his effort saved.

The visitors now started to play football again and created a plethora of chances. Burnley had their man of the match keeper to thank for keeping the score at 4-1 for so long. Sargeson found Lloyd with another quality free kick, only for the striker to head just over, then Walmsley’s audacious chip was brilliantly tipped over the bar and the skipper fired in a low drive which was kicked off the line.

The home side had one chance to pull a goal back but as Kershaw and Dinsdale hesitated, the striker could not make the most of it and toe-poked the ball wide.

Dinsdale then saw his rasping drive dropped by the keeper and Rakshi pounced only to see his shot go wide.

This was his last involvement as he was replaced by the returning Oli McLean who was straight into the thick of it, releasing Lloyd with a quick throw but the keeper again saved his side with a tip round a post. Dinsdale finally made the pressure tell, as Sargeson’s corner was met by Lloyd, his shot was blocked but Dinsdale reacted quickest to finish.

Sargeson was at the centre of the visitors’ best work and he coolly found Fagan who cheekily chipped the ball onto the bar.

McLean did some great work down the right and his cross for Lloyd was totally missed with the goal at his mercy. With five minutes remaining Sargeson lobbed over the bar and Lloyd had another shot excellently saved, but a minute later Walmsley made it 6-1 with a mazy run into the area, beating 4 men, rounding the keeper and placing the ball just inside the post.

Rimington have no game this week, but the reserves are at home in the NP Trophy.

FINAL SCORE: BGSOB 1, Rimington 6