Rimington FC record double over champs

editorial image
Share this article

The Ivy 1, Rimington 2

The top two went head-to-head at the weekend, as Rimington recorded a double over the defending champions.

The match of the day had everything, including a red card and a missed penalty.

The hosts could have taken the lead in the fifth minute, with a header blocked from a free-kick.

It took a quarter of an hour for the visitors to produce their first chance, Fagan’s precise free kick finding Dinsdale, with his thundering header deflected off the line for a corner, from which the same pair combined, this time Dinsdale’s header striking a post.

McLean went on a surging run before slipping the ball into Jackson, who fired in a low cross-shot which was cleared off the line.

Midway through the half Hutchinson found Bagot with a great ball over the defence, the striker lobbing the keeper only to see the ball clear the bar.

Ten minutes from half-time, the hosts should have taken the lead, as a break down the middle led to a shot which went wide.

Rimington made them pay moments later as Hutchinson crossed to McLean on the far edge of the area – his stunning volley flying past the keeper.

Just before the break, a nasty tackle left Cox writhing in agony and being carried off, earning the challenger a yellow card in the process.

Two minutes after the interval, Hickling fed McLean down the left, and he cut back onto his right before his low cross was almost touched in by Bagot.

Minutes later Fagan played a one-two with Jackson but the keeper made a smart save from his 20-yard effort.

Ivy equalised soon after, as a corner from the left resulted in a melee, before a shot flew past the unsighted keeper.

But they were down to 10 moments later, Dinsdale sliding in to win the ball, feeling the full force of the midfielder’s tackle, which earned him a second yellow.

And just after the hour, Jackson blocked the keeper’s clearance and stroked the ball into the unguarded net.

Minutes later Bagot was upended by the keeper, although he made amends by saving Jackson’s penalty.

Saturday sees a trip to Morley in the West Riding Cup, before another big league fixture at Burnley Athletic.