Rimington FC clinch victory in dying seconds

Glen Dinsdale
Glen Dinsdale
Share this article

Rimington 2, Calder Vale 1

A match which should been settled in the first half was finally won in the dying seconds of injury time, much to the dismay of the visitors after they had battled so hard to get back into the game.

The champions started brightly and were soon into their stride, passing the ball quickly and effectively, and they took an early lead when Walsh found Hicklin,g who hooked the ball into Dinsdale, who turned and smashed a volley into the bottom corner.

Tom Benfield then found Hickling with an exquisite pass, and he released Dinsdale, who raced away only to be foiled by the keeper’s legs.

The visitors were pegged back in their own half and had to be content to play on the break, but when they did, they found skipper Andrew Hartley in fine form, with Graeme Kershaw a virtual spectator.

A corner was met by Dinsdale but he saw his header cleared off the line, and the move of the match saw Hartley find Fagan, who played a great ball into Dinsdale, and he switched it to Hickling to play in Walsh, but unfortunately he screwed his left foot shot wide.

Just before half-time, Rimington had a free-kick on the right, and when the initial kick was blocked, Hutchinson crossed to Dinsdale but he blasted wide.

The second half followed suit, and Hickling latched onto a great flick from Dinsdale but dragged his effort wide.

On the hour, Hutchinson blasted wildly over.

But with only one goal in it, the visitors started to look more assured, and Rimington’s defenders were suddenly put under pressure.

With 20 mins to go, Fagan’s corner was met by Dinsdale, and he saw yet another header blocked.

Vale then created their best chance, Kershaw having to race off his line to block.

It looked as though the home side were to pay for their profligacy with five minutes left. A free-kick was swung over and thundered into the top corner.

However, with three minutes of added on time played, Benfield collected the ball 20 yards out, and, spotting the keeper on his six-yard line, he sent a delightful left-foot chip over him to win it.