Rimington ease through into cup quarter-finals

ON TARGET: Glen Dinsdale netted for Rimington in the 3-0 win at Skipton LMS
ON TARGET: Glen Dinsdale netted for Rimington in the 3-0 win at Skipton LMS
Share this article

Craven Cup holders travelled to Craven League leaders and progressed smoothly through to the last eight with a performance which pleased their manager Terry Braithwaite.

The visitors were quickly into their stride and Fagan’s free-kick was palmed down and Bagot’s follow-up was blocked at close range. The striker then saw his shot on the turn fly narrowly wide of a post.

A fine move between Walsh and Fagan resulted in a cross to the back post where Dinsdale headed down to Bagot and he saw another chance blocked on the line. Midway through the half, a glorious Benfield pass found Dinsdale, whose first-time volley cleared the bar.

The makeshift striker then had another volley tipped around a post. The home side then created their first clear chance when the centre forward broke away, but Kershaw bravely saved at his feet. Both fullbacks were involved in the opening goal as young Jordan Rawcliffe collected the ball before chipping it into the area where Hutchinson deftly flicked a header over the keeper to make it 1-0.

Skipton should have equalised immediately, a long ball over the top resulted in Kershaw dashing out of his area to clear, only to collide with his own centre half Mansfield, leaving the centre forward clear with only Hartley to beat, but he dragged his shot wide of the post.

Rimington should have extended their lead when Walsh put Dinsdale in only to see the home keeper thwart him, and he was foiled again when his diving header from a Fagan cross was blocked on the line. He finally got his just reward when Benfield chipped a beautiful pass in to him, and though his initial effort was tipped away, Fagan’s cross back in found him at the back post where he made no mistake.

In the second half, Rimington pushed forward again in a bid to seal the match, Dinsdale seeing a long-range shot deflected straight into the arms of the grateful keeper. Fagan’s free-kick found Bagot, whose initial effort was blocked and his follow-up shot flew over.

The game was made safe 14 minutes from time when substitute Ripley chipped a lovely ball over to Benfield, who won his duel with the centre half before calming slotting home.

Braithwaite said: “Skipton are top of their league and won it last season so this was never going to be easy. But I think we may need to add to the squad if we are to compete on all fronts.’”

Saturday sees a trip to Ossie St Mary’s.