Rimington closing in on silverware

editorial image
Share this article

FOUR games in a week have seen champions Rimington go top of the table and into the semi-final of the President’s Cup - played tonight at Hurst Green against Second Division winners Edenfield.

The quarter-final against Ossie was a tight affair at the Crown Ground.

Ossie had the majority of play in the first half, but couldn’t find a way past the commanding Kershaw.

A defensive slip brought the opener for the home side as the winger broke away before squaring for the striker to finish.

But Rimington began to dominate, and eventually Fagan equalised with a diving header.

And just 10 minutes remained when Walmsley muscled his way into the box and lifted a delightful finish over the keeper to send his side through.

Two days later saw a 4-0 home win over Stacksteads.

Dinsdale opened the scoring when Lawson flicked on a corner for him to stab home from close range, and he then turned provider as his 40-yard diagonal ball found Wharton, whose half-volley flew into the roof of the net.

In the second half Dinsdale grabbed his second as he controlled a Walmsley shot and placed the ball into the corner.

Luke Conti rounded off the scoring late on, using his pace to race through and send the keeper the wrong way.

Ossie then travelled to Rimington, but found things a lot harder than in the cup.

Heslop opened the scoring early on from close range following a fine move down the right. The visitors battled back and equalised from the penalty spot, but Benfield restored the lead when he forced his shot under the keeper. Wharton added an accomplished finish and then full back Hutchinson nodded home number four.

The away side showed great character when they pulled one back in the second half, but Lloyd latched onto a through ball to slot home to make it 5-2, Ossie scoring a late consolation just before the final whistle.

The game at Enfield saw a makeshift side come away with a 4-0 win. Lawson opened the scoring with a fine glancing header from a corner, before Leach toe-poked the ball over the keeper to make it 2-0.

In the second half, manager Terry Braithwaite combined with Walmsley for the midfielder to waltz past two defenders and the keeper to make it 3-0, before Walsh produced a carbon copy for the fourth.

Saturday sees a potential title-decider at Mill Hill.

• WITH Grindleton beating Cowling a week ago they put the league title in Skipton’s hands, and having ruining one party, they looked for a repeat.

LMS took the lead with a neat flick over McGrath from a long clearance, and in the second half, Skipton added two more with a fierce shot and a mis-hit effort which looped in off McGrath’s foot.

Two days later at home to Ingrow and Worth Valley, playing with 10 men, the locals took the lead against the run of play as Dobson robbed the keeper by the corner flag and curled the ball into the top corner of the empty net.

They doubled their lead in the second half, when a long throw from Dobson was headed into the far corner by Rawlinson.

Ingrow pulled one back as Rawlinson then headed into his own net from a wide free kick, and in the dying seconds of the game, a harsh handball decision in the area against North had the referee pointing at the spot. Fawcett dived the right way and got a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

But in extra time, Dobson drilled the ball across the keeper and into the far corner to earn a place in the quarter-final of the Northern Plant Hire Cup.

• DOG Inn beat Station 6-2 - their seventh-straight win - to move to within five points of Memorial League leaders Church, with two games in hand.

The Whalley side needed just fifteen seconds to take the lead, the prolific Jamie Enefer firing home from an angle.

Left-back Liam Anderson netted a fine second, before Jake Ingham dinked home a third from an Anderson corner.

After Station had pulled a goal back, Anderson scored his second with a stunning free-kick. In the second half Enefer netted two further goals for his third successive hat-trick before a Station consolation.

Dog visit Rose and Crown at Haslingden Sport Centre on Sunday.

• READSTONE United are hoping to run two teams at Under 8s level next season, and have organised training sessions on Read school field on Saturday mornings between 10-30 a.m. and noon, starting this Saturday.

Any boys or girls aged six or seven, and will be under the age of eight on August 31st this year, are welcome to attend.

Initially this training will given by existing Readstone managers, who are all FA-qualified coaches and CRB checked, but eventually the club will be looking for a parent or a group of parents to take over the running of the new teams.

Experienced guidance will be given to anyone interested.

In addition, the club are looking for new players for the Under 9s teams for next season, so any boys or girls under the age of nine on August 31st are also invited to turn up for training.

For further information, please telephone either chairman Paul Clarke (01282 771832), treasurer Geoff Lambert (01282 771442) or John Leaver (01254 884073).