Red-hot Rimington run riot

editorial image
Share this article

RIMINGTON took advantage of playing despite the recent weather and produced a clinical demolition of their opponents, scoring six goals in each half to put an end to Colne’s recent winning run.

The champions got off to a flying start when skipper Sargeson was set up by Tom Eglin to open the scoring in the third minute.

The captain started and finished the move which lead to the second, finding Lloyd before firing home the return in the 12th minute.

However, the visitors replied immediately, as a long ball over the top found Bennett and his attempted chip could only be tipped away by Kershaw, the forward reacting fastest to slot home to make it 2-1.

It only took three minutes for Rimington to extend their lead, through a bizarre own goal following great work down the right by Dinsdale, his cross headed back to Walmsley by Lloyd, only for the defender to nip in and rifle the ball into the corner past his startled keeper.

Midway through the half and Lloyd was upended outside the area, Sargeson picking out Dinsdale with a precise free kick and the powerful header made it 4-1.

On 25 minutes Lloyd scored his first of the game with a sweet volley which flew in off a post, and just before half-time the home side were awarded a penalty for handball and Lloyd made no mistake from the spot.

In the second half it took just five minutes for Rimington to increase the lead to 7-1 when a great move swept down the right from Eglin to Dinsdale to Sargeson and his perfect low cross gave Lloyd the simple task of finishing.

Then on 62 minutes Gawthorpe played the ball up to Eglin, who flicked a header on for Rakshi to race away before curling home a beautiful finish.

Colne were now ragged and it summed up their day when the centre half stood on the ball when under pressure from Lloyd who accepted the gift by placing coolly past the keeper, and the striker was to take the score into double figures with a route one goal, Kershaw’s long clearance bouncing once before Lloyd thundered in a rasping volley.

The 11th goal was another bizarre moment for the visiting defence as the centre half wrong footed his own keeper with a back pass to see it nestle in the back of the net.

McTear grabbed the 12th and final goal when he jinked past several men before placing his shot into the corner.

Saturday sees a trip to BGSOB, while the reserves travel to top of the table Rock Rovers.

FINAL SCORE: Rimington 12, Colne United 1