PHOTOS: Leeds United 2, Burnley 1

DE-JA-VU struck at Elland Road as the Clarets opened 2012 with defeat.

The reverse fixture at Turf Moor witnessed Robert Snodgrass score twice in the closing moments to earn Leeds a 2-1 win.

Leeds United v Burnley''Leeds United's Ross McCormack scores the winner deep into injury time to break Burnley hearts''Picture by Dan Westwell (PLEASE BYLINE)

Leeds United v Burnley''Leeds United's Ross McCormack scores the winner deep into injury time to break Burnley hearts''Picture by Dan Westwell (PLEASE BYLINE)

And the same happened again as a Jay Rodriguez own goal with two minutes of normal time remaining and a tap in from substitute Ross McCormack gifted the three points to the hosts.

The Clarets started brightly, Charlie Austin slicing a shot wide of the angle when threaded through by strike partner Rodriguez and Austin went close again as his bending right-footed effort from 25 yards was touched over the bar by Andy Lonergan.

The home side had been limited to speculative shots from distance but the game changed when full-back Kieran Trippier was harshly dismissed for a second yellow card. Spurs loanne Andros Townsend, a familiar opponent for the Clarets, later admitting that he'd slipped.

That forced a change among the Clarets ranks - Junior Stanislas replaced by Andre Amougou. But Leeds failed to make any inroads despite their advantage. Ramon Nunez tested Grant from distance while Townsend's dipping cross floated wide of the far post.

Simon Grayson's side applied the pressure in the second half, and at times it was relentless. Townsend and Aidan White's partnership down the left was exemplory.

Nunez watched his looping effort drop wide of the far post in the early stages of the second half and Lloyd Sam's deflected shot was forced wide of the near post by Lee Grant.

Townsend again went close, lashing his shot over the bar from the edge of the box before Grant back-peddled to keep the scores level as he tipped Alex Bruce's glancing headed on to the woodwork.

Grant saved again from a Nunez free-kick but was rendered a spectator as Zac Thompson's fizzing strike whistled passed the post.

The breakthrough came in the 67th minute, but it wasn't as expected. Against the run of play it was the visitors who took the lead. Darren O'Dea's headed clearance lacked any purpose and when the ball was played back in the direction of Austin the striker turned instinctively and drilled a low effort past Lonergan and in to the corner.

The hosts pressed, but without success. Substitute Mikael Forssell had the goal at his mercy when Grant spilled but he blazed the opening over the bar. Leeds continued to huff and puff but didn't seem like they would be able to blow Burnley's defence down.

Then came the suckerpunch in the 88th minute. Adam Clayton's corner in to the near post caught Jay Rod's standing leg and the ball passed Grant. That was soul-destroying in itself, particularly as the Clarets had battled heroically for the majority, but worse was to come with only seconds left.

Grant, who had coped with everything throughout the afternoon, was disappointed not to have held on to Townsend's opportunistic strike from 20 yards and McCormack had the simple task of thumping the ball in to an empty net.

It finished at Elland Road Leeds United 2 Burnley 1.