PHOTOS: Burnley 2, West Ham United 2

Share this article

TWO goals in as many second half minutes denied the Clarets victory against West Ham United.

Eddie Howe's return to the Turf Moor dugout seemed to have had a significant impact on his side, with goals from Marvin Bartley and Martin Paterson giving the Clarets a two-goal advantage at the interval.

BFC V WEST HAM: Chris McCann.'Photo Ben Parsons

BFC V WEST HAM: Chris McCann.'Photo Ben Parsons

But Hammers skipper Kevin Nolan and defender James Tomkins replied for the visitors, who were unfortunate not to snatch maximum points at the end.

After the initial quarter-of-an-hour Sam Allardyce's side struggled to adapt with Burnley's high tempo display as they limited their opponents to little time on the ball, pressing the London side high up the field.


The visitors started the better of the two teams and, after Paterson's early header flashed wide of Robert Green's post, Hammers striker Carlton Cole had two chances to open the scoring.

Matt Taylor intercepted Michael Duff's underhit pass and as Noble claimed possession the midfielder threaded a pass through to Cole who calmly rounded Grant but fired wide off balance. Moments later Cole lashed goalwards from the penalty spot but failed to get around the ball from Joey O'Brien's low cross and his effort landed in the David Fishwick Stand.

The Clarets failed to find a flow before the deadlock was broken, bullied by a physical Hammers outfit. And their inability to string passes together was more than likely helped by the frustration that grew from referee Mark Haywood's reluctancy to use his whistle.

However, the goal finally came and it was the first time the Clarets really found their stride, proving too slick and intricate for the Hammers to deal with. Ross Wallace's pass from the right was cleverly flicked in to the path of marauding midfielder Bartley by Paterson and he cooly stepped past James Tomkins before firing beneath Green.

But the hosts were lucky to retain their lead just minutes later when United had a goal ruled out. Jack Collison's cross was powered home via the underside of the bar by skipper Nolan; only for Haywood to spot an infringement, consequently wiping the goal out.

The home side's energy and desire continued to cause problems and their next push resulted in a second. Danny Ings, Dean Marney and Paterson were all involved in a slick exhibition of pass and move football in the centre of the park and as the ball worked its way out to Mee, the full-back's inswinging cross was guided past Green off Paterson's thigh.

Collison tested Grant from distance, though the Clarets stopper did well to palm the ball over the bar, and from the resulting corner Tomkins, who had been caught for both goals, missed the target with a header. Ings was denied his first Clarets goal by the post as his glancing header from Wallace's teasing cross had Green rooted to the spot and as the half came to a close Grant denied Taylor from close range.

The result and performance at half-time forced Allardyce in to changes, with Nicky Maynard and Sam Baldock replacing Matt Taylor and Carlton Cole respectively.

That tactical change certainly made it's presence felt, though it was Howe's side who would be the early beneficiaries as the game opened up. David Edgar sliced wide from 12 yards and Paterson blazed over from the edge of the box as the Clarets looked to put the game to bed. And Trippier's diagonal cross, evading the grasp of Green, grazed the head of Paterson as he pounced at the back post.

But the momentum swung on the hour. Maynard's deflected effort had Grant scrambling to his post, though the effort whistled by for a corner, before full-back George McCartney's trickery forced a way past Kieran Trippier and Marney, only for Grant to save his low, angled shot.

Mee thwarted another Hammers opportunity as he blocked Danny Collins' header from Noble's corner but, just as it looked as though the visitors were running out of ideas, their captain led by example to halve the deficit. Michael Duff and Grant failed to communicate and deal with a seemingly routine through ball, but the defender's deliberation and Grant's uncertainty saw Nolan latch on to the invitation and lift the ball over the keeper.

Burnley's composure transformed to disarray and, as they momentarily lost their discipline, the Hammers struck again to level the fixture when Noble's set-piece was steered in to the corner by Tomkins. Allardyce introduced John Carew while Howe brought on Charlie Austin, Junior Stanislas and Josh McQuoid over the course of the second half as both side's searched for the three points. Trippier cleared from underneath his own crossbar from Maynard's cross while Joey O'Brien's last ditch challenge prevented Paterson a clear opening from Ings' inviting centre.

Baldock flashed wide of the angle having found time and space from Carew's nod down in to his path and Baldock returned the favour, chesting down for the Norweigan international who should have done better than fire straight at Grant.

In the closing stages Baldock was denied by the legs of Grant as he raced through and Austin saw his header saved by Green from Mee's deep cross.

It finished at Turf Moor, Clarets 2 West Ham United 2.