Photos: Burnley 1, Newcastle United 1

Share this article

The Clarets marked boss Sean Dyche’s 100th game in charge with a point against Newcastle United that helped them climb out of the Premier League’s bottom three.

George Boyd scored the opener in the 33rd minute but the visitors levelled through Papiss Cisse after the break at Turf Moor.

George Boyd celebrates his opener

George Boyd celebrates his opener

The first meeting between the two sides in over 31 years took a while to get going, but Danny Ings attempted to make his mark on the fixture when turning Mike Williamson from Scott Arfield’s penetrative pass only to be denied by an over-animated save from Rob Elliot.

As the action dissipated, Ings tried to revive the clash with an audacious effort from distance but the England Under 21 international’s drive trickled harmlessly wide.

Urged on by Dyche, the Clarets gradually built momentum and with a zip in the pass Dean Marney and Ings worked the ball incisively for Ashley Barnes who curled an effort over the bar.

The away side’s threat was harboured in the pace and precision on the counter attack. With pockets of space opening, Ayoze Perez dropped between Burnley’s two banks of four to retrieve the ball and supplied Sammy Ameobi with the pass to drive at Jason Shackell on the outside and force Tom Heaton in to a low save to his left from an angled strike.

Ameobi was becoming a key outlet for Alan Pardew’s side and it was the 22-year-old’s cross that was directed in to the path of Cisse by Daryl Janmaat but the Senegal striker rifled over.

The Magpies marched forward again moments later, this time from the opposite flank, and it was Janmaat and Ayoze that worked the ball in to Mehdi Abeid who stormed beyond Shackell and Stephen Ward but was thwarted by a smart stop from Heaton.

The opener arrived in the 33rd minute; Kieran Trippier provided the diagonal, Ings obliged with a superb cushioned header when getting the better of Williamson and Boyd slammed home from the edge of the box with an unsighted Elliot rooted to the spot.

David Jones could - and maybe should - have doubled the advantage in the solitary minute of time added on at the end of the first half but the midfielder sliced wide of the upright following an exquisite build up between Scott Arfield, Boyd and Ings.

Pardew baptised the second half with a double change - Steven Taylor and Remy Cabella replaced Williamson and Ayoze respectively.

The visitors were on the front foot from the restart, and levelled within three minutes. Trippier’s sliced clearance enabled United to apply the pressure before Cisse thumped in to the top corner once Yoan Gouffran allowed Janmaat’s centre to run.

Both sides continued to break on each other as the game opened up, but both keepers were unexposed. Cheick Tiote’s attempt from distance was the only effort on target while substitue Ben Mee flicked a late header wide.

Dyche’s record now reads: Played 100, won 42, drawn 32, lost 26, scored 127, conceded 101 and accumulated 149 points.