One-way traffic for Hurst Green FC

editorial image
Share this article

Hurst Green 8, Millom 0

Millom made the long trip to the Ribble Valley on Saturday.

The Smithy Row pitch had stood up well to the heavy rain of the preceding days, and this was one of a handful of fixtures to survive the deluge. Millom would perhaps wish it had been otherwise.

Sitting at the bottom of the division, and with a number of senior personnel missing, it was also going to be a tough ask for the Cumbrians. They were on the back foot from the start, when Coar stepped up to take the free kick he had won, and curl the ball past he wall for a lead within 45 seconds.

Coar doubled his tally 12 minutes later. He received the ball from a throw in, turned and struck from 25 yards, the ball thundering off the post and into the net.

The visitors did not give up, and caused one or two awkward moments for the Hurst Green defence, but it was very much one way traffic. Hurst Green never really moved out of second gear, but even so, they took a 3-0 lead on 34 minutes, when Welch’s long throw caused mayhem in the box, and Mort capitalised.

A minute later, it was 4-0. as Mort slid the ball home for his second of the day.

There was no respite for Millom, and six minutes later Coar turned provider, chasing on to a through ball and crossing from the touchline for the unmarked Scott to tap in.

A minute later, it was six for the Green and a hat trick for Coar, as a fierce shot from the edge of the box took a deflection past the keeper.

Half time was a welcome relief for the visitors, but the relief was short-lived. Within three minutes of the restart, it was 7-0 through Walker. Four minutes later, it was four for Coar. Mort weaved into the box before finding the prolific striker, who tucked home from close range.

With over half an hour left, a cricket score line could have been expected, but despite regular attacking forays, Hurst Green could not add to the “goals for” column.

When substitute Barnes had his heel clipped in the box, goalkeeper Chester, in his last game for the club, was offered the chance of glory. He struck the ball well, but had to hurriedly track back when the rebound off the bar set up a counter attack.

Absent manager, Seedall, would no doubt have been delighted to hear of such a decisive victory, but will be well aware that far tougher tests lie ahead.