Mee disappointed with Swans display

Ben Mee struggled to contain his disappointment in the aftermath of Burnley's latest loss on the road in the Premier League.

Tuesday, 7th March 2017, 5:30 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:58 am
Burnley's Ben Mee in action during todays match Photographer Ashley Crowden/CameraSport The Premier League - Swansea City v Burnley - Saturday 4th March 2017 - Liberty Stadium - Swansea World Copyright © 2017 CameraSport. All rights reserved. 43 Linden Ave. Countesthorpe. Leicester. England. LE8 5PG - Tel: +44 (0) 116 277 4147 - [email protected] -

The Clarets led for only the second time away from Turf Moor this term when striker Andre Gray scored his second of the afternoon on the hour, but Swansea City hit back twice in the final 20 minutes to claim a 3-2 win at the Liberty Stadium.

Sean Dyche’s side have only held the upper hand for 14 minutes in 13 fixtures on their travels in the top flight, collecting just two points in total.

And, despite being edged out in stoppage time by Fernando Llorente’s header, Mee felt the Clarets were undeserving of any return on the balance of play.

“It’s a tough one, we weren’t at it for most of the game so I guess we can’t complain too much,” he said. “We were in the game, not particularly playing too well, but we were still in there and that was a positive.

“We knew that it was always going to be a tough place to come; they’re on the up and the crowd was right behind them, they’ve got a new manager and everything seems to be going well for them at the minute.

“It was always going to be a tough place to come at this stage of the season, they’re fighting and battling like us.

“It was difficult to put our finger on why we weren’t at our best, we were feeling good before the game, but we never got going.”

The defender added: “We just weren’t at our best. We didn’t perform at all, we didn’t get going. We tried to get a foothold in the game, we couldn’t get hold of the ball as much as we like.

“We were under a bit of pressure and we needed to get a foothold in the game. We didn’t want to be reliant too much on defending the whole game.

“We managed to do that at the beginning of the second half, we came out a little bit better, and we managed to get 2-1 up. We were in the game for most of the second half.”

The visitors benefited from referee Anthony Taylor’s bizarre decision to award a penalty in the first half, levelling things up from the spot despite replays clearly indicating that Sam Vokes was the guilty party in handling the ball.

However, the match official evened things out when failing to penalise Llorente’s push on Mee as the Spaniard capitalised to score a 92nd minute winner.

“We got a lucky decision in the first half and then one has gone against us in the second half. I’m just disappointed with the way that we played more than anything.

“He’s a decent player. They kept putting balls in to the box for him so we had a tough day against him. It was disappointing that we couldn’t perform better.

“I felt as if it was a shove but you never know what’s going through the referee’s head. He knows at half-time that he’s made a big error, it’s only human nature I guess to give it.”