LOCAL FOOTBALL: Thornton Arms, Sabden FC, Baggy’s Wine Bar, Dog Inn

editorial image
Share this article

SABDEN were unable to force an upset in the Towneley Cup over Premier Division Thornton Arms as they lost their first round tie 5-2.

Thornton Arms thoroughly deserved the victory, keeping Sabden’s man of the match goalkeeper Nick Galea busy throughout the game.

Bizarrely, the match official failed to turn up, so Sabden right back Ben Dewhurst volunteered to referee, allowing the game to continue.

Sabden showed determination throughout the 90 minutes, but were chasing the game from the offset, and found themselves 2-0 down at half-time.

However the First Division outfit forged a route back in to the tie and were level within three minutes of the restart with Thornton down to 10 men due to injury.

David Fallon sparked the revival when rifling the ball in to the roof of the net from the penalty spot after Joe Keane’s fizzed cross from the right was handled in the area.

And moments later the match was levelled when Fuller’s piercing pass released Jason Bates, who took a touch before smashing an angled drive across the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.

But Sabden’s hopes of victory were dashed on the hour mark when Thornton’s playmaker walloped in a left foot volley from the edge of the area.

And the opposition marched into the next round with further goals in the 72nd and 90th minutes.

Baggy’s Wine Bar 2, Dog Inn 7

DELIGHTED Dog Inn boss Simon Kerins hailed his 10-man team as they overcame Baggy’s Wine Bar in their Terry Cattermole Trophy Group B game at a soggy Memorial Park.

The Whalley side were 15-strong on Saturday afternoon, but multiple withdrawals for various reasons saw them start with only 10 men.

An early knock to right-back Dan Steele effectively saw them reduced to nine men with an injured Steele playing on despite a serious ankle injury - later revealed to be a broken ankle - and only coming off after Dog’s seventh goal.

Oli Steele’s stunning header from a Pete Fletcher delivery saw them take the lead, shortly before a Baggy’s equaliser.

Two Jamie Enefer goals then put the Dog Inn 3-1 up, before Baggy’s netted again.

Dog asserted in the second half, with Oli Steele netting his second before man of the match Enefer completed his hat-trick.

Further goals later came from captain Fletcher and Arron Ripley.