Legion finally up and running with a victory!

editorial image
Share this article

CLITHEROE RBL finally recorded their first victory of the season after 10 attempts with a hard-fought victory over Bacup.

The visitors began very brightly and carved out numerous opportunities before the deadlock was finally broken.

On 15 minutes Haslam broke down the right and his cross found Meyler, whose shot was blocked, only for Brunskill to pounce and find the bottom corner.

Not long after Meyler himself made it 2-0 as his delicate turn and shot from the edge of the box found the back of the net to put the visitors in control.

The visitors squandered a number of chances as they piled on the pressure in search of a third and killer goal.

It didn’t come, and instead on the 35-minute mark the host broke and Harltebury’s attempted back pass was under hit, and the centre forward rounded the keeper to tap into an empty net.

This upset the rhythm, and the home side took full advantage, pressing forward for the equaliser.

Somehow at half-time the score was only 2-1 - the visitors should have been out of sight early on, although they quite easily could have found themselves level in the 10 minutes before the break.

In the second half, the vistors started very nervously but some resolute defending from the back four prevented the scores being tied.

The visitors came back into the game and soon had their third, although somewhat fortuitously.

Wright won a header deep in his own half, the home side failed to clear, and Threlfall raced forward to pounce on a short pass as he beat the keeper to the ball to tap home into an empty net.

The two-goal cushion was short lived as the home side broke, Clitheroe failed to clear their lines and were punished for not closing down as the ball was hit from 20 yards, only for Scriven in goal to parry the shot straight into the path of the forward, who had the easiest of jobs, stroking the ball home with 10 minutes to go.

This made for a nervous end to the game, although the visitors had a goal disallowed as Aspinwall was judged off-side.

They also spurned easy chances as Meyler headed wide from three yards.

The score rather flattered the home side as it should have been well and truly over as a contest after the first 20 minutes.

Man of the match was Dearden.

Hopefully this will improve the side’s confidence, as there next trip is an away game to Calder Vale on November 19th.

FINAL SCORE: Bacup 2, Clitheroe RBL 3