Hurst Green win through to final with Mort goal

One goal was enough for Hurst Green
One goal was enough for Hurst Green

Hurst Green beat Lostock St Gerard’s 1-0 on Saturday to reach the final of the West Lancashire League President’s Cup.

It was a clash of first versus second, as Fulwood Amateurs hosted Hurst Green and Lostock St Gerards in the semi-final, with Lostock favourites, having beaten Green in their two league meetings and looking guaranteed promotion. And that looked the case for the first 20 minutes, with Lostock head and shoulders above their opponents.

Green could not retain possession, indeed they seemed petrified of their opponents, and it seemed only a matter of time before Lostock would open the scoring, and quite probably the floodgates.

However, on 25 minutes, in the only meaningful foray into the Lostock half, Coar rose highest to head on to Walker.His shot was only parried by the goalkeeper and Mort reacted quickest to lift the ball into the net.

The goal seemed to instil a degree of confidence into the villagers, who gradually started to take control, with the only scare coming on 35 minutes, when Lostock headed against the bar from a corner.

Manager Seedall and climbed off his sick bed, and he gave his team a rousing address at half-time.

It clearly had an effect, because the team who started the second half played with a confidence that was lacking in the earlier stages.

Nolan, on his 18th birthday, was mesmerising on the wing, his speed and trickery causing the Lostock defence no end of problems.

Lostock had their fair share of possession, but could not c0onvert it into chances. The Green defence, led once again by Bartlett, stood firm, particularly in the latter stages when Lostock started to chase the game, and Green found themselves defending deep.

Green managed to hold out to the final whistle, and seal a cup final against Hesketh Bank at Charnock Richard on April 29th.

The previous Tuesday, Hurst Green won 3-1 at BAC/EE Preston to keep their promotion hopes alive, thanks to a hat trick from Alan Coar.

The hosts took the lead with a shot on the half-volley from a cross from the right, and a second goal was disallowed for off-side before Green managed to pull themselves back into the game as Brierley made a strong run down the right, and his cross was met by Coar, diving in to head home.

With the first half in its closing stages, Green doubled the lead, again from the head of Coar.

And Coar completed his hat-trick on 85 minutes, following a goal mouth scramble.

Green are back in action on Easter Monday with a trip to Bolton County, with kick-off at 3 p.m.