Haworth’s Blues go through in the cup

Clitheroe on the attack                          Pictures: Peter Ryan
Clitheroe on the attack Pictures: Peter Ryan
Share this article

Clitheroe progressed to the first qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup on Sunday following a 2-1 win over Pickering Town.

Sefton Gonzales at times was unplayable as he regularly opened up the home defence.

Ollie Crankshaw celebrates his opener against Pickering Town

Ollie Crankshaw celebrates his opener against Pickering Town

On five minutes, Gonzales worked his way down the left, shrugging off players before squaring the ball to Ollie Crankshaw to ease home.

The lead should have been doubled on 13 minutes when Adam Bolton, making his first start in blue in a competitive fixture, crossed from the right to Gonzales who cushioned the ball and laid it off to Michael Roddy, who fired wide.

Pickering’s first chance came on 31 minutes when they opened up Clitheroe down the right and forced a fine save from Chris Thompson.

Three minutes before the break, Clitheroe had a succession of close range chances in the box, before, in injury time, Gonzales flicked the ball to Bolton, who chipped the keeper, only to see the ball go agonisingly over.

Blues striker Sefton Gonzales causes chaos

Blues striker Sefton Gonzales causes chaos

In the second half it was much the same story.

The home team worked a good opening on 58 minutes, but a minute later Bolton opened his account after Brad Carroll freed him with a delicious chip, and the finish was clinical.

Crankshaw should have scored a second four minutes later, but he dwelt on the ball too long before shooting.

However, the next goal would go to the home side two minutes later when Thompson was beaten from range by a deflected volley from Ryan Blott.

A minute later, Carroll was denied a stonewall penalty as he pushed the ball past the defender, but while the arguments raged, the home team went to the other end and a home forward had the goal gaping as he steered his header wide.

Normal service was then resumed as both Crankshaw and substitute Stephen Rigby had chances, but there was still time for more action as Gonzales won a penalty as he bamboozled the defence, only to see his spot kick saved.

The Blues will travel to Trafford or Kidsgrove Athletic in the next round.