Double winners Rimington sign off in style

editorial image
Share this article

Double winners Rimington signed off another successful season with a win to take them over 60 points again.

With several players unavailable, the champions had a new-look back five, with Lawson in goal, Hutchinson, Leach, Lloyd and McLean making up the defence, and it was no surprise when the home side took an early lead from close range as defenders stood still.

However, the visitors got their passing game going and Dinsdale should have scored when through one on one with the keeper, before Wharton got the equaliser with a far post header, and then he supplied Heslop to make it 2-1 at half-time.

It looked like Rimington might run away with the game early in the second half as Lloyd thundered home a header from a Wharton corner, and Penman made it four before being replaced by Clarkson.

The home side threw men forward and scored two goals in quick succession to bring the score back to 4-3, but Wharton and Dinsdale stretched the lead with two well-taken goals to bring Rimington’s goal tally to 95 in 24 league games, while conceding just 33.

Manager Terry Braithwaite said: “I am looking to improve our squad during the summer, as we want to compete on all fronts next season, with defenders being a priority, and I would be pleased to hear from anyone who wants to join us.”

This Sunday sees the second annual Ribble Valley 6-a-side Cup at Rimington.

After last year’s successful event it is anticipated that more teams will enter, with Whalley Conservative Club, who included Joe Garner in their team,, hoping to defend their title.

It should be a feast of football with a bar, hot drinks and food available. Spectators are asked not to bring their own drink as it will not be allowed on the ground.

Final Score: Burnley GSOB 3, Rimington 6

Dog Inn lead the Harry Dewhurst Memorial League with two games remaining, following this comfortable win at Memorial Park.

Looking to bounce back after Thursday’s shock defeat to Ossy Refugees, the Whalley side started brightly and took the lead from Oli Steele’s close range header. That advantage was doubled minutes later, when Jamie Enefer ran from the half-way line before beating the Tavern keeper.

Enefer added the third before the break, and in the second half, Craig Barnes fired home from the penalty spot, Enefer completed his hat-trick and, after Tavern had scored a consolation, substitute Dane Meyler rounded off a flowing team move with Dog’s sixth.

Dog face King’s Arms at Memorial Park tonight, before concluding their campaign against cup winners Black Bull at Marl Pits on Sunday.

Tavern 1, Dog Inn 6