Coar snatches a late winner

editorial image
Share this article

Rob Coar snatched a late winner to keep Green in the hunt.

Groundsman Barry Bolton provided a superb surface despite heavy overnight rain as Askam United visited Smithy Row for this keenly-awaited fixture.

The Green, with injuries and unavailability, had to reshuffle, and manager Seedall opted for a 3-5-1-1- formation.

Askam were first out of the traps and after four minutes Rayner sped down the left hand channel before curling a delightful shot over Bee into the top corner of the net.

The home side struggled to get any rhythm into their passing, but they equalised when Brierley latched onto a pass and his right foot drive took a deflection past the keeper.

Askam fought back and Bee pulled two saves right out of the top drawer to keep the scores level.

Coar was heroically ploughing a lone furrow up front and frustration seemed to creep in to the villagers’ ranks, as indiscipline and poor passing saw Askam having plenty of possession, but the half ended all square.

Seedall was clearly unhappy with events, read the riot act at half-time, and, showing great conviction, he made all three substitutions during the interval.

Switching to a 4-4-2 formation, Foley, Steel and Walker entered the fray, and within a minute of the restart the home side were back in front when Tipton’s superb delivery from a free kick was headed into his own net by the Askam centre half.

The lead was shortlived, however, as just four minutes later the Green defence tried to play their way out of trouble, and dangerman Rayner nipped in to slam home the equaliser.

The home side dug deep and gradually began to turn the screw, the pressure increasing on the Askam back four as Green, prompted by Howarth’s superb second half display, got their passing game together.

Steel, on his debut for the first team, made a great run before pulling the ball back to Walker, who forced a great save from the keeper.

Shortly after he made a superb double save to deny Coar.

Brierley was causing havoc down the flank, but the visitors remained a threat on the break.

Desperate and brave defending by the Askam centre halves kept the rampaging Coar at bay, but he wasn’t to be denied.

With two minutes remaining, a superb move down the right involving James, Howarth and Brierley ended with the latter’s superb cross being bravely bundled home by Coar.

This was a good three points gained on the back of a superb second half performance and a decent crowd was royally entertained.