Coar hits four as the Green Amble to win

Hurst Green Reserves pepper the Garstang goal on Saturday
Hurst Green Reserves pepper the Garstang goal on Saturday
Share this article

Hurst Green kept their discipline to record a victory at the picturesque Ambleside ground.

Conditions under foot were poor which contributed to a sterile opening 15 minutes. However, marksman Coar sprang into life firing home a fine free kick.

The referee then took centre stage awarding both sides dubious-looking penalties, which were both converted, Coar netting for the villagers.

The Ambleside left back then received his marching orders and Coar subsequently ran riot - he slammed home a header from superb Wilkinson cross and crashed home his fourth from close range.

The second half began with Green stalwart Walker finishing well from close range.

The game meandered to a conclusion with the home side grabbing a late consolation to make the final score 5-2.

The Green still have everything to play for and there are some massive games ahead in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Hurst Green Reserves beat runaway league leaders Garstang Reserves 3-0 at Smithy Row on Saturday.

The home side began the game with terrific intensity, with Cookson and Steele setting the tempo in central midfield, Holt providing pace and endeavour on the right and the experienced Hayes proving a excellent outlet up front.

The home team had chances before they took a deserved lead on 10 minutes when Bolton scored from a sweetly-stuck inswinging free kick.

As the half progressed, Garstang got into the game, but were unable to penetrate the home defence in which centre backs Young and Barton were in control.

The second half saw Green increase their lead on 58 minutes when terrific skill from Foley saw him beat three defenders and finish with a tremendous left foot strike.

Garstang had several half chances but were unable to beat keeper Mahon.

Darnell had a great chance to put the game out of reach, following an excellent run from half way but was unable to finish.

However, the final goal came on 75 minutes and was again finished expertly by Foley following a superb move.