Coar at double as Forest Green ease past fellow high-fliers

Hurst Green celebrate Walker's opening goal against Dalton on Saturday
Hurst Green celebrate Walker's opening goal against Dalton on Saturday
Share this article

Third placed Hurst Green played host to fourth placed Dalton at Smithy Row in the West Lancashire League First Division on Saturday, emerging 4-0 winners.

The game saw a first start of the season for Coar, and a return from injury for Bartlett.

Groundsman Barry Bolton had prepared a carpet-like surface in spite of heavy rain, and blue skies welcomed the Cumbrians to the Ribble Valley.

Perhaps the long journey affected the visitors, who failed to trouble Chester in the Hurst Green goal.

It took 14 minutes for Green to confirm their dominance, when Walker capitalised on a defensive error and slipped the ball past the keeper.

Despite heavy pressure, Green could not add to their lead before the interval.

However, within nine minutes of the restart, a Walker flick from a throw-in found Coar with his back to goal. A quick turn beat the defender and a sharp shot beat the keeper.

Seven minutes later, Coar doubled his tally, beating the keeper in a sprint for the ball, and before lifting the ball over his prone opponent.

Manager Seedall, delighted to see Coar’s lengthy absence had not blunted his sharpness, gave his legs a rest, McLean replacing him.

And within five minutes, the sub was on the score sheet. Wonderful interplay culminated with a clever back heel from Byrne, and McLean lashed the ball into the back of the net.

The scoreline certainly did not flatter the villagers, indeed they were unlucky not to add to their lead.

Seedall praised all his players on possibly the best performance of the season, and one that extends their unbeaten run in the league to 11 games.

Green’s reserves won 3-0 at Burscough Richmond to maintain their remarkable promotion run.

Green’s defence was breached in the first minute by a through ball, but fortunately the chance was missed.

That was the last real action veteran Young in goal saw as the defence was superbly marshalled by Tom Bamber and Ciaron Barton.

Davies, Mort and Scott all missed great chance for the Green in the first half and the sides went in level at half-time.

Hurst Green’s quality began to show in the second half, and half and Bamber converted with a right foot volley following a Cattermole corner.

Mort then scored a wonder goal after a smart break involving the dynamic Stuart Davies.

Mort sold the goalkeeper an outrageous dummy before stroking the ball into an empty net.

Davies then got his reward with a rasping 18-yard left foot drive which crashed in off the underside of the bar.

The home keeper then saved his team from a mauling with three stupendous saves.

The victory took the team to third ahead of Saturday’s local derby away at Longridge in the Houston Cup.