Clitheroe Wolves unbeaten run ended

editorial image

CLITHEROE Wolves Under 9s’ unbeaten run came to an end in a thrilling top of the table clash against Great Harwood.

Wolves opened the scoring with a stunning strike from Oli Hunter.

However the lead didn’t last long, with Great Harwood coming back strongly.

Both teams went close in a real end to end encounter, but with the game heading for a draw, Harwood managed to snatch a late winner.

Man of the match was Henri Hodgson.

Wolves’ Under 11s went down 3-0 to Fulledge Colts Reds in another tense and thrilling game between these two sides.

Wolves went on the attack with Joe Wilson denied by the Colts keeper, before firing wide.

The Colts counter attacked, sending an effort past the post before keeper James Prendergast made a fine save.

However, the Colts took the lead through a long range strike.

Wolves pressed again, with both Taylor Wilson and Ben England going close, before another long-range strike doubled the Colts’ lead.

Again Wolves hit back, with Taylor Wilson’s free kick tipped over, but the Colts counter attacked, netting their third before half time.

Wolves attacked at the start of the second half, with Connor Jackson close with a shot, but Prendergast had to be on his toes at the other end.

Man of the match was awarded to Connor Jackson.

Blackburn Eagles had ended Clitheroe Wolves Under 13s Yellow’s unbeaten start the previous week, and it was a determined Wolves that set out to even that score.

Showing good attacking intentions from the off, goals from Chris Baird and top scorer Oliver Hamer saw them lead 2-0 at half-time, and it could have been more.

Eagels rallied as expected after the break, and after levelling through two quick stikes, both sides had the chances to come out on top.

In the end an enthralling game finished honours even, and Clitheroe had to be satisfied with ending Blackburn’s 100% record.

Hamer took man of the match award, but all the players could be proud of their efforts.