Clitheroe up to third!

editorial image

BLUES boss Paul Moore maintained his unbeaten record since jumping in the Shawbridge hotseat as Clitheroe climbed to third in the Evo-Stik First Division North table.

Back-to-back victories over Burscough and Mossley ensured the Blues cemented 10 points from their four opening fixtures, perfectly poised behind Trafford and Skelmersdale United in the hierarchy.

Marcus Calvert scored a late winner to hand Clitheroe victory at the weekend after a superb second-half double from Jordan Williams had pegged back previously-unbeaten Burscough.

Burscough took an early lead through David Lynch as his inswinging corner bypassed everyone to find the net in the 12th minute.

While the remainder of the half was competitive, the hosts had most of the play and came very close to equalising in the 19th minute as Simon Nangle rattled the bar with a volley from the edge of the area.

Clitheroe were level within minutes of the restart as Williams raced onto Nangle’s through ball to score with an assured finish.

Rather against the run of play Burscough regained the lead in the 63rd minute. Hakan Burton saved from Joe Camazzi as the full back collected a long ball, only for Jamil Adam’s stabbed effort from the rebound to trickle tamely over the line.

Clitheroe equalised after 79 minutes as Danny Bell and Andy Naylor combined to free Williams, who, after being forced wide by Tom Horn, produced a finish of real quality.

And then Marcus Calvert secured the points as he was the beneficiary of another exquisite through ball from the impressive Nangle before stroking the ball home.

One downside to the afternoon was an injury to skipper Ollie Devenney who now looks destined to join Louis Edwards on the sidelines for a period.

On Tuesday evening an outstanding second-half performance gave Clitheroe victory at Seel Park against Mossley.

The hosts were the better side in the opening period, but only had a single goal to show for their endeavours at the break. Sam Hind opened the scoring after 31 minutes as he latched onto a quick throw-in and crashed an effort past Burton.

Before half-time, the home side missed a golden opportunity to double their advantage as an unmarked Cavell Coo headed a Gary Gee cross over from point blank range.

The second half, however, was a different story as the Blues asserted themselves from start to finish. On 48 minutes, Williams was the quickest to react after Mossley player-manager Steve Halford fired a free kick against the back of the referee, playing in Johnson, who squared for Ross Dent to slide in and equalise.

And Clitheroe took the lead on 65 minutes after Halford needlessly upended Johnson as he tried to latch onto a long clearance from Burton. Smalley touched the resulting free-kick to Bell, who curled the ball beyond Martin Pearson for his first goal for the club.

Three minutes later Johnson netted a third. Bell and Dent combined to find Williams who set-up Johnson to coolly finish across Pearson.

Despite having a two-goal cushion there was still plenty to do to guarantee three points. Burton saved a low free kick from Coppin before Hind’s downward header from Adam Mather’s ball into the box reduced the arrears, though Clitheroe held firm.

Clitheroe now travel to Skelmersdale United on Saturday for an FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie.