Clitheroe strikers have edge in pulsating home clash

Action from Saturday's 3-1 win at home to Prescot Cable. Picture: Peter Ryan
Action from Saturday's 3-1 win at home to Prescot Cable. Picture: Peter Ryan
Share this article

A pulsating game kept the Shawbridge crowd fully entertained, but it was the pace of the Clitheroe frontline which ensured that the points stayed at Shawbridge.

As early as the third minute, Lloyd Dean sent a hanging cross in from the left which eluded the keeper, but Scott Bakkor headed against the bar.

Four minutes later, Gonzales headed a Simon Garner cross back across the face of goal, only for Dean to put it just over.

Prescot’s attacks were rare, but one minute later, ex Blue Isaac Kusaloka glanced a header against the bar.

The pace was unrelenting and Dean put the Blues ahead on 11 minutes, when having released Bakkor, he angled his left-footed shot across the keeper into the far corner.

Prescot had a chance to score 10 minutes later when a free kick broke free to their striker, but with the goal at his mercy, he screwed it wide.

On 28 minutes, Bakkor chested down a pinpoint Warren Bellew cross and lashed the ball narrowly past the post.

Better was to come two minutes later, when fully 25 yards out, Garner rolled a free kick for Dean to hit it like a train into the net.

The last prominent action of the half saw Andrew Dawber make a great save and in looking to grab the ball, a Prescot striker went tumbling. The away team’s penalty shouts were long and hard, but nothing was given.

The second half belonged to Clitheroe and to Bakkor in particular, as he created havoc on the right flank. On 55 minutes, he ran down the flank, outmuscled the defenders and cracked the ball against the bar. Three minutes later he set up Dean, who could only put the ball over. On 61 minutes, he ended a 30-yard run by pulling the ball back from the bye-line at pace, and Andy Griffiths stabbed the ball home.

Substitute Wysocki got in on the act himself, when after a 50-yard burst he delicately chipped the ball to Gonzales, who was tackled as he shaped to shoot. On 83 minutes, a penalty was awarded to Prescot, and although Dawber saved, diving to his left, the follow up effort produced a goal for Connor McCarthy.

For several minutes the home defence was at full stretch, but by the time of the final whistle, all three points were heading Clitheroe’s way, the outstanding Bakkor the man of the match.