Clitheroe’s resurgence is brought to a halt

SETBACK: Glodi Kuba-Kuba in action at Prescot
SETBACK: Glodi Kuba-Kuba in action at Prescot
Share this article

CLITHEROE’S resurgence under interim manager Lee Sculpher came to a shuddering halt at Valerie Park on Saturday.

The Blues made a brisk start with Oliver Devenney’s shot ricocheting around the box after Nat Taylor had released Calvert down the inside right. But this was largely the only effort they mustered in a lacklustre opening half.

Ged Kinsella issued a warning as his shot from distance clipped the post, and Prescot took the lead in the 19th minute when Michael Reid picked out captain Joseph Gibiliru, who fired past Zack Hibbert. The home side came close to doubling their lead moments later but Ashley Ruane failed to connect with Steven Tames’ dangerous cross.

The Tigers did not have long to wait before extending their advantage as the influential Gibiliru’s inswinging free kick bypassed a crowded penalty area and found the corner.

The half-time break afforded Clitheroe some respite, but the hosts continued to dictate proceedings. Chris Rowntree had already drilled an effort wide before Tames ended the match as a contest on 55 minutes as he slotted home after latching onto Ruane’s flick on.

Prescot continued to create chances and a powerful run and shot by Kinsella forced Hibbert into a decent save. Shortly afterwards John Couch picked out Ruane, who rattled the bar with a superb improvised effort.

Substitute James Thomas compounded Clitheroe’s misery with a fourth goal after 75 minutes, rifling a free kick from range past Hibbert. Ruane was close to adding a fifth but blasted over.

A subdued Clitheroe manage a consolation with six minutes remaining, with Connor Smith finishing after Glodi Kuba-Kuba was denied by keeper Stephen Longrigg.

Clitheroe: Hibbert, Smalley, Pugh (c), Higgins, Fearon, Smith, Taylor, Devenney (Roberts 70), Kuba-Kuba, Calvert (Davidson 56), Davis (Dent 56). Subs not used: Langford, Naylor.