Clitheroe let three-goal interval lead slip

Action from Saturday's 3-3 draw at New Mills
Action from Saturday's 3-3 draw at New Mills
Share this article

A dramatic stoppage time equaliser by New Mills finished off a fine comeback after the Blues had raced to three-goal lead in the first half.

Simon Garner had to make an enforced change as Cory Bent had been selected for the Lancashire FA Youth team.

Jason Hart moved to the right flank with Louis Mayers partnering Sefton Gonzales up front.

The cold weather which engulfed Lancashire during the week hadn’t reached the Derbyshire Peaks, so the game went ahead in pleasant conditions.

New Mills started the brighter and Alex Palffy had to make a couple of saves early on from Daniel Douglas-Pringle.

The first chance for the Blues came on 16 minutes. A good move saw Gonzales play a through ball to Mayers, who laid it back to Hart, whose shot was saved by Aaron Ashley.

On 21 minutes New Mills had a header cleared off the line from a corner, but it was from the clearance that the Blues counter attacked and took the lead, as Hart sent in an excellent cross and Gonzales stooped low to head the ball past Ashley.

The Blues started to take control of the game and Hart had another good effort at goal shortly after, which went over the bar.

The second goal came on 28 minutes, and another good team build-up, with Gonzales, Seydou Bamba and Richard Burns all involved, before David Lynch crossed from the right and Hart’s shot was parried by Ashley, but ended up in the net.

Roberto Bonaminio received a yellow card on 38 minutes, which was to prove costly.

On 41 minutes it was goal number three for the Blues. An inch-perfect through ball from Garner sent Gonzales, clear and his turn and shot was placed brilliantly into the bottom corner.

Right on half time, Bamba was fouled on the edge of the box. From Hart’s free-kick, Gonzales headed just over as the Blues finished the half well on top.

The second half got off to a disastrous start when a mix up between Palffy and Danny Brady resulted in Brady putting the ball into his own net.

Then on 51 minutes, Lynch went in for a 50/50 challenge with Aaron Chalmers, and was booked after Chalmers received treatment, despite the referee not deeming the incident worthy of a free kick.

The Blues became decidedly ragged and questionable bookings for both Danny Morton and Garner increased the frustration.

Bonaminio was given a second yellow for a clumsy challenge on 68 minutes, with Laquan Esdaille coming on to play at the back with Mayers sacrificed.

Daniel Forde scored New Mills’ second goal on 77 minutes, and with the game entering stoppage time, it looked like the Blues were going to hang on for the points.

But in the fourth minute of added time, substitute Matt Landregan shot past Palffy to give the home team a point.