Clitheroe go goal crazy in wins in both league and cup

Celebration shots from Clitheroe's 3-1 win at home to Northwich Victoria on Saturday. Pictures: Peter Ryan
Celebration shots from Clitheroe's 3-1 win at home to Northwich Victoria on Saturday. Pictures: Peter Ryan
Share this article

After picking up a first home league win of the season on Saturday, Clitheroe crushed Lancaster City on Tuesday night to move into the second round of the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy.

The Blues beat Northwich Victoria 3-1 at Shawbridge at the weekend, before Zach Clark hit four in a 7-2 victory at the Giant Axe.

At Lancaster, the Dolly Blues actually took the lead, in front of a crowd of 105, with Gavin Clark netting midway through the first half.

But, incredibly, the Blues replied with four goals in 12 minutes to go in 4-1 up.

Alex Ralph equalised on 33 minutes, before Clark’s first four minutes later.

Liam Hutchinson made it 3-1 a minute before the break, and Clark added a fourth right on half-time.

Just after the hour mark, Roberto Bonamino made it 5-1, and although Thomas Woods pulled one back for the hosts, Clark added a later brace - including one from the spot - to take his tally to four for the night.

On Saturday, Northwich Victoria had the first effort on goal in the fourth minute when Burnett cut in from the left, but his wayward strike sailed wide.

Within a minute, Hutchinson’s shot cleared the bar.

The visitors took the lead in the 18th minute when a cross from the left wing was diverted into his own goal by defender Danny Brady.

Just after the half hour the Blues had a great chance to equalise, as a freekick from the left found Clark unmarked six yards from goal, but his sweetly-struck volley whistled beyond the far post.

They did draw level in the 35th minute though when a ball from the left into a crowded penalty area was controlled by David Lynch and drilled home from 10 yards.

Simon Garner struck a 30 yard free kick into the hands of the Northwich keeper before his block tackle at the other end saved an attempt on goal from the edge of the box - but left him injured and unable to start the second half.

Richard Burns replaced Garner and was involved in a move that led to Clitheroe taking the lead in the 46th minute. Hutchinson played the ball out to the left to Burns, who then set up James Walker to fire a high cross into the box, where Clark headed the ball back across the keeper and into the net.

In the 57th minute, Clark moved down the right before flashing the ball across for Alex Ralph to sidefoot it goalwards, and Burns nipped in to divert it narrowly wide.

A minute later substitute Blues keeper Alex Palffy made a good save to deny Northwich, and then a header from the subsequent corner was off target.

In the 60th minute, Ralph fired in a cross, but former Blue Chris Smalley’s arm was in the way and the referee awarded a penalty, Danny Wilkins stepped up to make no mistake.

Hutchinson and Lynch went close to adding further goals, and the Blues will look to take their good form to Droylsden on Saturday.