Clitheroe FC snatch late win against Burscough

Lloyd Dean. Photo Ben Parsons
Lloyd Dean. Photo Ben Parsons
Share this article

Clitheroe came from 2-0 down with 14 minutes remaining to win 3-2 at Burscough on Saturday and continue their climb up the EvoStik First Division North table.

Clitheroe leaked the first goal on six minutes, when the ball was moved neatly by the home side before being driven in by John Connolly.

Shortly after, Burscough burst down the left flank and flashed a shot across the face of goal, but they were not to be denied, and on 15 minutes, last ditch defending and diving blocks by the Blues’ defence could not stop the ball being lashed home from six yards by Mark Beesley.

On 21 minutes, Will James slipped in his own half, leaving Burscough with two men against one, and only a last minute tackle by Ben Cartwright saved another certain goal.

The pattern for the targeting of Scott Bakkor had been set early in the game and he was kicked into the air to earn a home player the first of three yellows for fouls on him. One minute later, Burscough forced a great save from Ollerenshaw, and the half-time whistle could not come soon enough for the Blues.

A change of personnel saw Dean on for Chris Dykes and Clitheroe to play with two up front, but it was almost academic after 30 seconds when Ollerenshaw was chipped from distance, but the ball veered wide.

Slowly, however, Clitheroe started to play into their new formation and Ross Dent was at the heart of the energy and drive in the middle of the park.

On 52 minutes, Warren Bellew launched a free kick into the Burscough box but none of the three Clitheroe players queuing up could apply a finish.

Then Dean pulled the ball back invitingly for Bakkor, who mis-hit his shot.

Bakkor was hammered again on 61 minutes earning a second yellow for a Burscough player before Danny Smith came on for Aden Wainwright.

Within two minutes, a melee saw a gilt edged chance for both Dean and Smith to score.

On 74 minutes, Smith hauled the Blues back into the game with an expertly taken free kick from 25 yards, which left the home keeper rooted to the spot.

Bakkor almost equalised a minute later but scuffed his shot. Three minutes later, Dean slalomed past three players in quick succession but his shot went just wide.

Four minutes from time, the pressure told when Keith Wedge drove to the bye-line and thundered a great cross over for Bakkor to head home from five yards out.

With the game in stoppage time, Smith played Dean through and he kept his composure to slot the winner.