Clitheroe captain scores but misses late penalty as hosts settle for a point

editorial image
Share this article

The Blues missed from the spot deep in to stoppage time as they shared the spoils with Radcliffe Borough at Shawbridge in the Evo-Stik First Division North.

Brad Carroll had the opportunity to secure all three points for the 10-man hosts but Boro stopper Matthew Johnson saved the skipper’s penalty.

Elliott Rokka provided the early threat for the away side, profiting from Timmy Raheem’s work on the right hand side as he drew Chris Thompson in to a fine save.

And just minutes later the winger was proving troublesome again as his thumping effort from 20 yards out cannoned back off the bar while Frank Van Gils’ rebound was ruled out for offside.

Clitheroe grew in to the game and Johnson had to be at his best to beat away Gareth Roberts’ free kick from the edge of the box.

As the interval approached both sides crafted excellent openings to break the deadlock. Firstly, Van Gils swept over the bar from four yards out after being picked out by Rokka and then Blues striker Alex Newby was thwarted by Johnson when through on goal.

Simon Haworth’s men opened the scoring in the 54th minute and it was awarded courtesy of an eagle-eyed official.

Carroll’s thunderous drive from 30 yards out crashed down off the underside of the crossbar and, despite the uncertainty, the linesman ruled that the ball had crossed the line.

Thompson had to be alert on the hour to preserve his side’s lead when pushing Rokka’s deflected set-piece around the post after the ball bounced awkwardly in front of him.

After Dimitri Tuanzebe blazed over from Ryan Cattermole’s corner at one end, Boro were awarded a chance to equalise from 12 yards out at the other end.

Dylan Smith was harshly adjudged to have committed a foul on Aboubacar Sonogo inside the box and the substitute picked himself up to beat Thompson from the spot to make it 1-1.

With time ticking down, Roberts was given his marching orders for hacking down Paul Correia as the last man as Boro threatened to steal the points

Rokka, though, failed to test Thompson from the resulting set-piece as his attempt drifted wide of the upright.

And then, deep in to time added on, the home side had a great chance to snatch all three points when Carroll was scythed down in the box.

The away team used every trick in the book to delay the kick, and with Carroll taking the spot kick himself, the young keeper made a smart save.