Champions Rimington get off to winning start

editorial image
Share this article

EAST Lancashire League champions Rimington started the new season with two wins.

First up they won 4-2 at last season’s runners-up Langho.

The visitors opened the scoring midway through the half when Lloyd thundered home a header, and this seemed to be the catalyst for Rimington.

Eglin broke away only for his effort to be thwarted by the legs of Sharples, and the stand-in keeper then produced a top-drawer save as Sargeson sent a header back across into the far corner. He then saved from McCarthy, whose follow-up clipped the bar. Before half-time, an attack down the right resulted in Lloyd powering home number two.

Langho soon pulled a goal back after the break thanks to a thundering left-foot effort, and when Kershaw was adjudged to have fouled Baygot, Coote stepped up to slot home the penalty.

The home side were now in the ascendancy and it needed some excellent defending to maintain the status quo.

Walsh and Rakshi came on as the visitors changed their formation, and this helped to change the course of the game, Walsh sending Lloyd through only for him to be brought down in the box.

He took the kick himself and even though he slipped, his strike was enough to complete his hat-trick.

Langho pushed forward in search of another equaliser and Kershaw had to race out of his area to thwart Coote, before he then kept two goal-bound strikes out.

Rakshi broke away to round Sharples, but his shot was blocked on the line, and substitute Tootle had a goal disallowed.

It was fitting that Lloyd should seal the game as he swivelled on the edge of the area before sending a left-foot shot into the far corner.

The champions’ second game was against Enfield, who beat them in the Cup Final, and it looked as though Enfield may defeat them again as they raced to a 2-0 lead inside 10 minutes.

A ball over the top left the striker with just Kershaw to beat and although he got a touch he couldn’t keep the ball out.

Shortly after, he parried away a low shot only for it to fall to an Enfield player to tap home.

Rimington gradually began to create chances, the keeper thwarting both Sargeson and Lloyd before the latter pulled a goal back with a cool finish.

In the second half, the villagers levelled when a flowing move resulted in Hutchinson crossing for Lloyd to power home a header into the top corner.

Walsh proved to be the match-winner when he steered in a diving header to the bottom corner to claim the points for his side.