Burnley 3, Crystal Palace 2

Share this article

Substitute Ashley Barnes scored his first goal in 21 months to secure a dramatic win for the Clarets against Crystal Palace at Turf Moor.

The striker, who has endured lengthy spells on the sidelines with cruciate knee ligament damage and hamstring troubles, netted deep in to injury time to seal a 3-2 win over the Eagles as Burnley climbed to ninth in the Premier League table.

Sam Vokes gave the Clarets the perfect start

Sam Vokes gave the Clarets the perfect start

The hosts had surrendered a two-goal lead, and were hanging on for a point at stages, but Barnes was the hero in only his second appearance of the term.

The home side couldn't have asked for a better start against the Eagles as they went ahead in the second minute.

And, similarly to the all-action start against Liverpool in August, it was striker Sam Vokes that applied the finish.

Granted his latest goal wasn't as impressive as his thunderbolt against Jurgen Klopp's side, but it was a typically predatory strike that got the Clarets off the mark.

The Welshman was alert from just two yards out to bundle ther ball over the line for his fourth of the season after goalkeeper Steve Mandanda had denied Matt Lowton's first-time shot from Johann Berg Gudmundsson's cross.

The visitors responded well to their early setback and had chances to level. However, Tom Heaton won't be beaten in current form.

In front of England boss Gareth Southgate, who sat alongside chairman Mike Garlick in the Bob Lord Stand, the Turf Moor skipper starred once more.

With the Three Lions squad set to be announced on Sunday evening, Heaton simply strengthened his bid for a first start for his country.

The 30-year-old's first save denied Jason Puncheon after the winger was picked out by Christian Benteke in the box.

Heaton's second, though, was much better and provided the base for Burnley's second goal of the game.

As Benteke failed to find a way through a crowded goalmouth, the ball was scrambled out to Wilfried Zaha who, under minimal pressure, was thwarted by Heaton.

From there the home side broke and doubled the lead. Vokes's clever reverse pass showed Gudmundsson goal side of Palace captain Scott Dann and the Icelandic international's attempt beat Mandanda, albeit with a dose of fortune, as he opened his Premier League account.

Again the away side hit back and Andros Townsend had the travelling fans on their feet when firing at goal from inside the box but the ball kissed the woodwork on its way out for a goal kick.

At the other end Jeff Hendrick started, and almost finished, a neat passage of play from the Clarets but, having been found unmarked by Scott Arfield, the record signing saw his effort blocked.

In the closing stages of the half £27m signing Benteke had a couple of opportunities to reduce the deficit.

The Belgium international steered his first chance in to the arms of Heaton from Townsend's delivery and then flicked a header just past the upright after towering above Ben Mee to meet Zaha's cross.

With Palace, as expected, throwing everything, including the proverbial kitchen sink, at the Clarets in the second half, the hosts were able to pick out holes in their opponent's formation and counter.

Vokes almost benefited from that twice, first getting on the end of Arfield's pass before spinning Damien Delaney on the edge of the box and guiding a low shot just wide of the post.

With Palace committing men forward, and operating a high defensive line, Vokes then raced on to a ball over the top down the left hand side but was twice denied by Mandanda from an acute angle after cutting infield.

Sean Dyche's side had put their bodies on the line to claim a point at Old Trafford last weekend and they were being made to do the same to retain their lead against Palace.

However, the away side' pressure eventually told. Connor Wickham hadn't been on the pitch for a minute when scoring to make it 2-1.

The substitute, who replaced Puncheon, made full use of his first touch when hammering the ball in to the top corner after squeezing between Mee and Michael Keane to convert Zaha's cross on the hour.

They were then gifted an opportunity to level proceedings with nine minutes remaining when Palace were awarded a penalty by referee Anthony Taylor.

The visitors broke from a failed Clarets corner and Townsend's cross struck the out-stretched arm of Lowton.

Benteke stepped up and coolly slotted the spot kick in to the corner, sending Heaton the wrong way in the process.

Palace cranked up the pressure in search of a winner and they went close when Yohan Cabaye's strike from outside the penalty area travelled just wide of the near post.

Alan Pardew's men, however, were still susceptible at the back as they left themselves exposed. And they were made to pay heavily for that.

In the final minute of time added on, substitute Barnes scored his first goal since February 2015 to seal a huge three points for the Clarets.

The striker broke alongside Gudmundsson and didn't need to break a stride when stepping on to the winger's cross to unleash an unstoppable drive in to the roof of the net to spark delirium inside the stadium.

There was still time for even more drama when Townsend's volley came back off the inside of the post but the Clarets weren't to be denied a fourth win of the season.