Blues sunk by Marine as they exit FA Cup!

Action from the Emirates FA Cup tie against Marine
Action from the Emirates FA Cup tie against Marine

The magic of the FA Cup eluded Clitheroe as they were dumped out of the competition in the First Qualifying Round by Marine.

Instead, mayhem and mystery ensued as Stockport official Anthony Moore brandished 12 yellow cards, disallowed what should have been a Blues equaliser and allowed a contentious late strike from the hosts to stand.

Action from the Emirates FA Cup tie against Marine

Action from the Emirates FA Cup tie against Marine

The visitors started the tie well and Kenny Mayers went close with a back post header after left back James Walker delivered the ball in to the box. Defender Gregg Anderson also threatened with a header, planting it marginally wide of Matt Cooper’s upright.

However, against the run of play, the Mariners took the lead on the half hour mark when Carl Peers drilled an effort in to the bottom corner after Lewis Codling’s attempt was blocked from Jamie Menagh’s squared pass.

But then came the controversy. Michael Hampson wheeled away in celebration as he beat Cooper from Hendry’s assist, but the jubilation was muted and the leveller chalked off as the assistant’s flag was raised, questionably, for offside.

After the interval, Mayers failed to convert Hampson’s cross from the right when blazing the ball over the bar.

Hendry was next to threaten for the Blues having been found by Hampson, but the on loan Blackburn Rovers youngster fired high and wide.

Callum Jakovlevs was then called in to action again when parrying substitute Chad Whyte’s attempt to safety after the former St Helens striker collected Menagh’s raking pass.

The hosts had a golden opportunity to double the lead when Codling was tripped by Walker inside the penalty area, but Jakovlevs plunged to his left to keep the Whites’ striker’s spot kick out.

Jakovlevs afternoon was growing busier as time wore on and he did well to turn Peers’s stinging drive over the bar.

Mayers went close to an equaliser when thumping the ball against the post after Hampson forced a save from Cooper.

Jack Lynch and Scott Bakkor forced late chances before skipper David Lynch was dismissed for two bookable offences.

And Clitheroe’s misery was compounded when sub Karl Clair headed home from an offside position from Peers’ deflected shot in stoppage time.

The Blues entertain Ossett Town on Saturday (kick off 3 p.m.).