Blues make it three wins on the spin to boost their play-off hopes

Clitheroe celebrate scoring against Scarborough Athletic on Saturday'''''''''''''Pictures: Peter Ryab
Clitheroe celebrate scoring against Scarborough Athletic on Saturday'''''''''''''Pictures: Peter Ryab

Clitheroe claimed a third-successive league win on the east coast, beating Scarborough Athletic 3-1 to keep their play-off ambitions very much alive.

Having scored 10 goals in their last two games, the Blues claimed another three and now sit ninth in the table, four points outside the top five, with games in hand over most of their rivals.

Action from Clitheroe's win over Scarborough Athletic

Action from Clitheroe's win over Scarborough Athletic

Clitheroe had the first sight of goal after onbly three minutes as Scott Harries lifted the ball towards Ross Dent, but, as he looked to turn the ball into the net, he couldn’t get any purchase on his effort.

In a strong wind, play was somewhat scrappy in the opening quarter of the game, and Clitheroe were grateful to keeper Ben Woodhead’s awareness, as he raced well out of his goal to clear as a Scarborough forward broke the off-side trap and raced through.

Clitheroe carved the hosts open on 26 minutes, as Harries played Louis Mayers in on goal, but his shot lacked power.

Shortly after, the home fans were baying for blood as Sefton Gonzales challenged the keeper for the ball and left him on the floor, but the challenge was a fair one.

Striker Sefton Gonzales

Striker Sefton Gonzales

Athletic responded by forcing Woodhead into a fine stop, turning a shot round the post, before Harries was tackled and the Seadogs headed over from the subsequent cross.

Nine minutes from the break, Clitheroe got their noses in front as Harries’ free kick from the left was headed down by Danny Brady at the back post, and Gonzales nodded home.

And two minutes later it was 2-0 as Mayers teed up Dent on the edge of the D, and he picked his spot, passing the ball past the keeper.

Scarborough gave themselves a lifeline before the break, however, as a free kick was played into the box, and Blues captain Jimmy Heywood inadvertently headed the ball past Woodhead into his own net.

Clitheroe consolidated after half-time, and they were the first to show just before the hour as Mayers broke down the left, and from his ball inside, Gonzales picked out Harries, who lifted the chance just over.

Dent was forced off by a heavy challenge shortly after, and, with tempers getting frayed, all the outfield players were involved in a melee as Mayers’ progress was crudely interrupted.

Once order was restored, the Blues regained their two-goal advantage as Gonzales claimed his second of the afternoon, forcing the ball in, via a deflection.

Clitheroe looked to press home their advantage, and midway through the half, substitute Kurt Willoughby chipped the keeper, but his effort didn’t quite have the legs.

Fellow sub Brandon Barski came in for some rough treatment, before Harries was taken off following a bad tackle.

The Blues didn’t rise to the bait, however, retaining their composure to claim three points at Bridlington’s Queensgate ground for the first time.

Brady was named man of the match.

Clitheroe: Woodhead; Heywood, Walker, C. Lynch, Brady, Garner, Harries, Dent, Gonzales, Mayers, Barski.

Subs: Bonaminio, D. Lynch, Bakkor, Hampson, Willoughby.