LETTER: We help parents with disabled children through benefits maze

Share this article

Over the next year many local families will have to deal with a large number of changes to the current benefit and tax credits system.

This month has already seen the introduction of the bedroom tax in social housing and the replacement of council tax benefit with local schemes which will result in many low-income families paying council tax for the first time.

There are two other huge changes on the horizon that local families with disabled children may not be aware of. In June personal independence payments (PIP) will be introduced. PIP will replace disability living allowance (DLA) for those aged 16 and above. And in October all means-tested benefits and tax credits for people of working age will be replaced by a new Universal Credit.

Contact a Family – the only UK charity that supports families with disabled children whatever their disability or condition – speaks to many parents who are confused and worried about how these benefit changes will impact on their family. And, given the range and speed of these reforms, it has never been more important for families with a disabled child to find out how their current benefits may change.

To help families with a disabled child make sense of how their benefits will change we have produced a helpful guide. Personal independence payment, universal credit and other forthcoming benefit changes – a guide for families with disabled children, is available free from our freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555 or email help-line@cafamily.org.uk.

We hope that using our guide will help reduce worry and confusion families with disabled children may have about the benefit changes and increase their chances of getting what they are entitled to – more important than ever in the current economic climate.

For information about Contact a Family visit www.cafamily.org.uk.

Srabani Sen, CEO

Contact a Family,London