Terror for families after lad falls in lake
Two mums were involved in a terrifying and desperate rescue mission after a young lad slipped into Fleetwood's boating lake while they were out on a crabbing trip.
Victoria Spencer and pal Bianca Schofield were with their children, enjoying a relaxing time at the lake, on Laidleys Walk.
But the children’s quiet fun turned to terror when 13-year-old Joshua Sharp, a friend of Bianca’s neighbour, fell in after over-reaching at the lake’s edge.
The teenager couldn’t get out because of the slippy sloping side of the lake, which was deeper than he expected, and he started to struggle and slipped under the water.
When Victoria became worried and tried to rescue him, she also fell in. They were only able to get out when Bianca layed down flat and somehow managed to haul Victoria out and pull Joshua clear with them.
Mum-of-four Victoria, 31, who is originally from Fleetwood but now lives on Main Drive, Poulton, said: “If we hadn’t been with the children and they’d been alone, I don’t know what would have happened. Joshua could easily have drowned in there because it was freezing cold, it was really deep and very slippy because of the algae. I was trying to grab Joshua with one arm and pull myself up with the other and I think I only got out because of Bianca. It was terrifying but I tried not to panic in front of the children.”
Victoria says the lake once had some railings around the side and she believes the lake would be safer if they were returned.
She says: “It would just make it less easy to slip in. if any young children went crabbing by themselves, they would really struggle to get out of that lake if they fell in. It is much deeper than it looks and really slippy.”
And Bianca, 28, from Martindale Avenue, said: “There needs to be railings, anything that someone can grab if they do end up falling in, and signs telling people to be careful. It happened so quickly and it was really frightening.”
The lake, which is often used by a kayaking club, is overseen by Wyre Council, which has been carrying upgrading of the amenity.
Wyre said it was aware of the issue and was looking into it.