Sign in or miss out

editorial image
Share this article

COUNCIL canvassers will be out and about in Ribble Valley over the coming weeks collecting outstanding electoral registration forms.

More than 8,000 Ribble Valley residents could miss out on their chance to vote in November’s election for a Lancashire Police and Crime Commissioner if they do not sign the borough’s Register of Electors.

Canvassers distributed electoral registration forms to Ribble Valley’s 24,780 homes in June and residents looking to vote in the election are advised to “sign it, seal it and send it back” without delay.

The 2012 Ribble Valley Register of Electors is being compiled a few months earlier than usual and nearly 16,000 residents have already returned their electoral registration forms. Ribble Valley Borough Council’s electoral registration officer, Jane Horsfield, said: “The Ribble Valley Register of Electors is being produced earlier than usual this year due to elections for the Lancashire Police and Crime Commissioner and we are asking householders to return their electoral registration forms as soon as possible.

“The forms were delivered across Ribble Valley in June and so far 63% have been returned. Anyone wishing to vote in the November 15th election will have to be a registered elector, so residents are advised to sign their form, seal it and send it back!”

Households whose details have not changed can reply by text, phone or internet, but those who do not respond will receive a visit from canvassers between August and September.

Police authorities in England and Wales were abolished in September 2011 in favour of directly elected Police and Crime Commissioners in a move aimed at strengthening the relationship between the police and community.

The newly-elected Commissioner will take up post on November 22nd, with responsibility for governing Lancashire Constabulary and holding its Chief Constable to account.

Ribble Valley residents who have not received an electoral registration form are asked to contact Ribble Valley Borough Council without delay on 01200 425111.