Residents of 40 houses and business employees in Pendle Road, Clitheroe, have been evacuated after a ruptured gas main has caused a large fire.
The fire started about 10-30am today. Pendle Road is closed from the junction of Hayhurst Street and one fire engine and three police units are currently in attendance at the scene.
Workers have been evacuated from both County Sales and WB Furniture, both at the site of the fire, which is burning from the ruptured pipe in the middle of the road.
Duncan Jackson, MD of County Sales said: “15 staff have been evacuated and we don’t know what time we’ll be allowed back in – we are waiting to be updated by the police.”
40 homes on Pendle Road have been evacuated as a precaution by police and fire crews. Staff at Pendle Court sheltered accommodation are offering evacuated residents tea and coffee and all traffic has been diverted down Hayhurst Street.