Neighbours come to the rescue during Ribble Valley blaze

One of the neighbours coming to the rescue.
One of the neighbours coming to the rescue.
Share this article

Neighbours came to the rescue this week when a fire spread to the back gardens of several Ribble Valley homes.

The fire started after a wooden garage lean-to set on fire on the backs between Pasturelands Drive and Whalley Road in Billington on Wednesday evening.

Flames and smoke from the blaze.

Flames and smoke from the blaze.

The flames soon spread to the back gardens of two of the homes on Pasturelands Drive - in which there was a bichon frise dog called Harry in one of them.

Resident Mark Cookson, who was one of many who came to the aid of his neighbours, said: "One of my neighbours got his hose pipe out and managed to put the flames out to the point where there was just steam coming up and I climbed over to get the dog out.

"Residents were coming out from everywhere to help with their hose pipes. It just shows the great neighbourhood spirit that we have here."

A greenhouse and the fence panels of the gardens of two other properties plus the fascia of one adjacent garage were also damaged.

Firefighters from both Clitheroe and Blackburn attended the incident which is believed to have been caused by the current hot spell of weather.