Man’s “lucky escape” from Chatburn fire

editorial image
Share this article

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from his home in Chatburn in the early hours of Thursday morning after a fire started in his kitchen.

Two fire crews from Clitheroe and one from Barnoldswick were called out at just before 12-30 a.m. to the flat at Quarry Farm Court.

Clitheroe Fire Station watch manager Dave McGrath explained that neighbouring residents dialled 999 after a smoke alarm sounded in the flat that was filled with smoke and they could not arouse its occupant.

He added that it is believed the fire started in the kitchen and the man had been treated by paramedics with oxygen for smoke inhalation.

Mr McGrath described the flat’s occupant as “very lucky” and stressed to members of the public the importance of working fire alarms in properties.