'Discarded cigarette' may have sparked house fire in Lancashire, say police

A cigarette bud that was "thrown into a plant pot" may have sparked a fire in Clitheroe today (April 22).

Thursday, 22nd April 2021, 3:24 pm

Two fire engines from Clitheroe were called to the scene in Charles Road at around 5.15pm.

Firefighters discovered the front door of the home was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

Crews equipped with two breathing apparatus used one hose reel and a ventilation unit to douse the flames.

Two fire engines from Clitheroe were called to the scene in Charles Road.

No injuries were reported, but police have warned residents to be careful when extinguishing cigarettes.

Read More

Read More
Teen stabbed in the back in 'nasty' Blackburn attack

"One theory for the cause of the fire is an innocently discarded cigarette bud was thrown into a plant pot and over a period of time has ignited, causing extensive fire damage to the property," a spokesman for the force said.

"Although this is something that is incredibly rare it is something to be kept in mind when extinguishing your cigarettes."

Fire crews were in attendance for approximately three hours.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed an investigation has been launched.

Support us and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.