Teenage rapist is sentenced

editorial image

raping a 13-year-old girl while already on bail for a similar sex attack has put a Clitheroe youth behind bars for around two-and-a-half years.

Preston Crown Court heard that the rapist’s victim was later subjected to a campaign of verbal and online abuse by people who did not believe her after the youth initially denied the offence. A very large number of people were said to have taken that view, because of the length of time it took for the case to be resolved.

Later the youth, who was 15 at the time of the attack in January 2011, pleaded guilty and since then some people had come forward to apolgise to the victim and her family.

The judge dealing with the case said the teenage girl had been treated in a way no victim of rape should ever be treated. Others had jumped on the bandwagon, thinking that the boy was innocent.

He cannot be named by order of the court.

During the case the court heard how a group of young people, including the defendant and the 13-year-old girl, had walked around Clitheroe that evening drinking, chatting and listening to music. The girl became drunk.

She later described being pushed over and held down by the boy, who then raped her. Her mother, who went out looking for the daughter, had apparently heard the end of the rape when she rang her. The teenager was crying and shouting “stop” and “no”.

At the time of the offence the defendant was already on bail over a sexual assault on a 13-year-old girl, which resulted in him receiving a custodial term.

His barrister had told the court the boy wanted to apologise through him for what he had done.

Sentencing the youth to 31 months in detention, Judge Norman Wright told him: “Having had your wicked way with her, you then abandoned her in the condition she was in to wander the streets in a hysterical state.”

He said it must have been a “truly harrowing experience” for her parents to contact her via a mobile phone, to hear their daughter’s saying “stop it” and “no”, as well as other voices. The girl had been entitled to say no.

For more on this case, see tomorrow’s (February 9th) edition of The Clitheroe Advertiser and Times.