Paramedic jailed for molesting boy (14) he met on Internet

Edward trickett
Edward trickett
Share this article

A BURNLEY paramedic who molested a 14-year-old boy in a forest after grooming him over the Internet has been jailed for four years.

Edward Trickett (30) contacted the teenager through a web chatroom before luring him to Theberton Forest, Suffolk, twice in June last year, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

The defendant, who worked for the ambulance service in Burnley at the time of the offences, admitted four counts of sexually assaulting a child aged under 16 and one of meeting a child after sexual grooming.

Michael Crimp (prosecuting) said the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told Trickett he was 14 in online conversations – and even asked if he was concerned about his age.

He said: “We say he was fully aware of the boy’s age when he drove down from the North to meet him.”

The offences came to light when the victim’s sister found out about the relationship.

Mr Crimp added: “When they met, Trickett asked for a kiss which the boy gave him.

“They then moved to a secluded location and the victim told police he was concerned about what Trickett wanted.”

Trickett, now of Cromwell Grove, Levenshulme, Manchester, worked at Dent Row ambulance station at the time of the offences. He later moved to a base in Manchester.

Katherine Pierpoint (defending) said Trickett had been the victim of a sexual assault aged 14.

She added: “These offences are extremely out of character for him. He is of impeccable good character up to these matters.”

Judge John Devaux jailed Trickett, placed him on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely and banned him from working with children for life.

He said: “It seems you were yourself exploited in your early teens.

“But in this case there was a considerable age gap and you knew the boy’s age. You groomed him over a series of weeks.”

Trickett was suspended from his post with the North West Ambulance Service after the allegations came to light in February. He resigned in October before he appeared in court.